Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 1989 Ramcharger 360 it’s bone stock sat for years. Nothing at all done to it still stock exhaust manifolds. I’m still in high school so I’m bringing in $150 a week. It’s a total slug. Looking for help what to do first that’s cheap and will improve power. But keep in mind I’m getting 9 mpg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She’s a 4wd beast hit some ice and slid into a ditch during 4 inches of ice and snow. Threw her in 4wd and drove right out. Haven’t got stuck yet.... it’s only been a month so it’s sure to happen soon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I mean smiles per gallon right? I’ll probably buy some headers and get the exhaust done it should let it breath a lot better

·
Registered
378 Posts
a 4 bbl intake with the dreaded Thermoquad will help with mileage , and give the on demand power your looking for . also an Rv cam plus 3 inch dual exhaust . i would start with intake and carb they are cheap n easy to find .

·
Registered
862 Posts
remove some weight.
helps with MPG and power.

muffler shop duels would be cheap and add a few ponies.

a solid tune up should help it as well
plugs wires. cap rotors. fuel filter. clean air filter. clean or new PCV valves.
180* thermostat and change the diff fluids to new synthentic.

should pick up a few HP and make the whole thing run better.

Junk yard electric fan conversion. thats easy if it is a clutch fan.

a camshaft kit should be easy to put in over a weekend.should run you 200$ and would be a great thing to do after exhaust systemz.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
E-fan conversion is not too expensive, will absolutely help responsiveness/economy/power all at the same time. I know on the Magnums the Y-pipe for the exhaust is a HUGE restriction. I would imagine it's not much better for your truck. Being a 4x4 headers and such are a pain. Doing reading for my own stuff and it seems the 4x4 guys have it a little tough when it comes to this. Shorties don't do much...mids are expensive, longs probably won't fit. Honestly it's probably best just to do the Y-pipe and exhaust (2.5" minimum).

You might get some gains from an intake manifold. Being a TBI truck if I'm not mistaken, I don't think there's much you can do with a tune. It *might* be better to swap to a good carburetor.

Obviously a good tune-up.

I don't know how the heads on the older 360 compare to the non-R/T Magnum heads, but if they are similar, a cam is absolutely pointless if they are. For the amount of stuff you have to change out versus the gains, your money and time are better spent on other things. The general consensus I've come across is it's not worth doing a cam until you've got good heads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts