Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm m looking for a cheap inter cooler for my 89 dodge Daytona 2.5l turbo I'm looking for somthing cheap but half decent or is there any cars at a scrap yard that came stock with inter coolers thanks

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
You might want to post your location, many of us have extra Intercoolers, with luck you could find one within walking distance!!

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
581 Posts
yes post your location, I have a stock tiii intercooler and an intercooler out of a srt4 for cheap. but if your far away from me shipping wouldn't be worth it for you.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
I founs a nice Toyota Supra Twin Turbo IC in a U-pull for $10. Some here say it's not very good but if it's good enough for a TT Supra it's good enough for me!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes post your location, I have a stock tiii intercooler and an intercooler out of a srt4 for cheap. but if your far away from me shipping wouldn't be worth it for you.
Nova Scotia Canada there's nothing around here it's all down in the states

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
any intercooler will work better than not having one, the smaller ones just dont work as well as a larger one, how many psi do you want to run?
Well the stock Mitsubishi turbo on the 2.5 L engine Runs like 18 I would like to run like 25-30

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Well the stock Mitsubishi turbo on the 2.5 L engine Runs like 18 I would like to run like 25-30
If you're running a Mistu turbo at 18 psi, you're already over spinning it and losing tons of efficiency. At that pressure it's generating more heat than boost... It will never get to 25-30 without self destructing. In stock form it's too small for a 2.5. Chrysler used it to keep lag to a minimum.

If you want to build that kind of pressure, you need a WAY bigger turbo, and an intercooler to match. You may get to that psi, but you'll be losing 1/2 of it to intercooler losses & turbo losses...

You need to seriously re-think your combination, and your budget...:smile2:

Not trying to bust your chops, but you need to consider the efficiency of the package. It's not all about absolute boost numbers. It's about building a package that works well. You may get a mistu turbo to 20 psi, but I can promise you, a guy with a TII Garrett running at 15 psi will blow your doors off. Why? His package makes more efficient power than yours. Visit Donovan's page: http://www.thedodgegarage.com/ and read up on turbo tech he's tried over the years. A lot of good info on that web site. If the turbo won't flow efficiently at 15 psi, it doesn't get any better at higher pressures...

Do some more reading, as ask more questions, or your going to wind up spending a lot of money to be slower than everybody else, and scratching your head as to why...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're running a Mistu turbo at 18 psi, you're already over spinning it and losing tons of efficiency. At that pressure it's generating more heat than boost... It will never get to 25-30 without self destructing. In stock form it's too small for a 2.5. Chrysler used it to keep lag to a minimum.

If you want to build that kind of pressure, you need a WAY bigger turbo, and an intercooler to match. You may get to that psi, but you'll be losing 1/2 of it to intercooler losses & turbo losses...

You need to seriously re-think your combination, and your budget...:smile2:

Not trying to bust your chops, but you need to consider the efficiency of the package. It's not all about absolute boost numbers. It's about building a package that works well. You may get a mistu turbo to 20 psi, but I can promise you, a guy with a TII Garrett running at 15 psi will blow your doors off. Why? His package makes more efficient power than yours. Visit Donovan's page: The Dodge Garage and read up on turbo tech he's tried over the years. A lot of good info on that web site. If the turbo won't flow efficiently at 15 psi, it doesn't get any better at higher pressures...

Do some more reading, as ask more questions, or your going to wind up spending a lot of money to be slower than everybody else, and scratching your head as to why...

Where could I get a TII turbo at

·
Registered
581 Posts
I just picked up a tii off of eBay in great working condition for 150 shipped to my door, I think I did pretty well. Most used working tii turbos go from 150-300 depending who's selling them. Even then 25-30 psi on a stock tii is pushing it, also some little dinky intercooler won't keep up at those pressure levels. Slow down, read a lot and learn, then start building your way there. Try getting to 20 psi. Successfully first, then start planning to go higher or you'll end up with lots of broken parts. Been there done that. It's easy to spin in your boost controller to 20+ psi. Also even easier to break pistons with a bad setup. Search for the post "getting to 20 psi" and follow that if your unsure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts