Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an '87 Shelby Z. Had a ton of blow-by and after tearing down the engine I found that piston 3 was broken. The cylinder walls and everything are all still perfect...No scoring or scratches of any kind.

I am just going to replace the pistons without removing and machining the engine. They are still fine, and I don't want to put quite that much money into it since I'm going to sell it in a month or two.

Just wondering if you can check my parts list, before I order them tonight...to see if I should add or change anything.

FWDPerformance -
-Mahl Std Piston Set W/Rings
-Clivette 77 Rod Bearings
-Catch Can
-Daytona Pillar Pod
-Mopar Gasket Sealer
-3" Cat Back Exhaust

TurbosUnleashed -
-Mopar Upper and Lower gasket sets
-Mopar Manifold and Two Piece Intake Gaskets
-Fuel Rail Mounted AFPR
-Downpipe Bolt Kit
-High Flow Turbo Oil/Coolant Lines
-3" Swingvalve and Downpipe Kit
-ARP Head Bolts
-ARP Rod Bolts

I'm getting the manifold gaskets, and I'm going to port out the head and manifolds a little bit. Nothing too extreme, just what I can do myself.

Thanks.

BTW - The car had these items when I bought it:
-Intake
-BOV
-255lph Pump
-52lb Injectors
-FWDP Stage 5 Computer
-3Bar MAP

·
Registered
28 Posts
Everything looks ok, i'd go ahead and spend the extra 20 bucks and get the ARP head studs, just for re-assurance of not lifting the head. But thats just my opinion. Hope this is somewhat helpful for ya......how much boost are you running? Stage 5 computer with 52lb/hr injectors and a 3-bar MAP sounds like your gonna be running more than 15psi......if thats the case i'd def spend the extra money for the studs, I have them on my car and I love them lol........hope this helps you in some way

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to do the car right, but not go overboard. If I had noticed any flaws in the block, it would have come out.
I will most likely be selling the car to a buddy, since he wants the car, and I want the money to paint my '89.

Turbo_zo - The car runs 18lbs boost...well, atleast it's supposed to. With the broken piston it just made noise like it had power, but just blew oil all over. I know the buddy that wants the car won't run anymore than that. Atleast I won't let him! lol. He is only 18, and it will be his first car. A trust worthy kid, that I'll trust with a little power, but I think I'll sneak in a boost controller and cut him back to a steady 8-10lbs or so till he can prove to me he won't mess anything up!
I've also already got struts, shocks, and brakes to install for it to. It'll be really nice, I know he'll be happy.

Are the studs torqued like the bolts?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I want to do the car right, but not go overboard. If I had noticed any flaws in the block, it would have come out.
I will most likely be selling the car to a buddy, since he wants the car, and I want the money to paint my '89.

Turbo_zo - The car runs 18lbs boost...well, atleast it's supposed to. With the broken piston it just made noise like it had power, but just blew oil all over. I know the buddy that wants the car won't run anymore than that. Atleast I won't let him! lol. He is only 18, and it will be his first car. A trust worthy kid, that I'll trust with a little power, but I think I'll sneak in a boost controller and cut him back to a steady 8-10lbs or so till he can prove to me he won't mess anything up!
I've also already got struts, shocks, and brakes to install for it to. It'll be really nice, I know he'll be happy.

Are the studs torqued like the bolts?

Oh ok, sounds like a fun car.....and I don't blame you at all for turning the boost down, considering it is his first car. As for torque specs same pattern as the stock bolts of course, and I torqued mine down to 75ft/lbs. It comes with instructions. I did mine in a three step process.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do you think the fuel pressure regulator should be set at with this set-up?

I hope thats everything I'll need, because it's all ordered, and it was expensive. This car should rip. Hopefully it will be mostly together next weekend, if the weather hold up.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My brother got all his head stuff from FWDP and he got it in less than a week.
TurbosUnleashed...I've never ordered from. A little dissapointed they don't take credit cards, but PayPal does so it all worked out.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Sounds like a good setup. I also agree about the detuning it. I mean I am 16 and I got myself in trouble with 12 lbs. of boost. Only one speeding ticket but still. I am now at 14 lbs. and its great. So good luck with the car. And ya the vendors are kinda all over the place in getting your order in. I mean I ordered from FWDperformance and got my stuff in 2 days (on the regular shipping price) so I was pretty happy.

·
Registered
145 Posts
throwing new pistons and rings in the block will more than likely not last long as the block has a knack for teh cylinders becoming not as round as they need to be. i did this once to an 89 t2 and i got about 20k miles out of it before i had compression issues. id make sure those cylinders no matter how pretty are indeed round.

just notes from experience.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
I wouldn't spend big on rod or main bolts or studs. The standard pistons may not work once the block is cleaned. Don't buy 3" exhaust for a car that your selling, get a nice 2.5". Don't over do it, these cars with a nice stock rebuild are plenty.

As far as FWD and TU. Business is enough of a head ache with out taking money from 100 people and trying to deal with 100 people pissed off and wanting there parts. Get paid, ship and box the parts, move on the the next guy in line. No problem. Screw around with shipping causes you to mix up packages and people left behind. Both have an issue with the fact that the parts are tough to get in to ship out. They both wait months to get shipments for TDs. I love TUs 3" SV and header, but be prepared to wait. Need rebuilt heads or trans? Your going to wait lol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What do you think the fuel pressure regulator should be set at with this set-up?

I hope thats everything I'll need, because it's all ordered, and it was expensive. This car should rip. Hopefully it will be mostly together next weekend, if the weather hold up.

Well I have mine set to 42psi with the vacuum hose unhooked. I think that'll be fine for your set-up....well thats what I would start out with atleast.....

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
throwing new pistons and rings in the block will more than likely not last long as the block has a knack for teh cylinders becoming not as round as they need to be. i did this once to an 89 t2 and i got about 20k miles out of it before i had compression issues. id make sure those cylinders no matter how pretty are indeed round.

just notes from experience.

I'm not just gonna throw the pistons in there...I am going to do a light hone, I'm just not pulling the engine from the car. We will see how it works.
I've done a lot of work to engines, just never gone this far. If he only gets 20-30k miles on the car, then I'll buy the car back from him...Hell thats about 2 years from now.

I would like to buy this car back from him in a few years anyway...He knows he is not to sell it to anyone else. The car is solid enough to restore, but I have to get my '89 done first. lol. My brother probobly wouldn't let me store two cars in his garage. Atleast the '89 on the rotisserie can be tilted up and stored against the wall.
We'll see what happens.

I got my shipping confirmation from FWDP today...will be here Thursday. I havn't recieved anything from TU yet. I would just like an ETA, so I'll call tomorrow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts