Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who else out there cant wait to race against a new COBALT...

eef

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Sounds like they'll be a fun go. It's about time they got the 2.0 in north america!
But I have to ask why such determination to tear a strip off one? ;)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good friend payed $24000 for a -misubooshi eclisppe- last year to beat the "ol' shelby" and he lost by 2 seconds......

now he builds a 450 hp ricer.......to beat me.....

again...someone will drop $25,000 on a chevy cobalt .....this time i feel the cobalt and shelby should be neck and neck....

with a pro driver they are getting 14.7....et

my best last year was a 14.8 et.....sweet

now if i just turn up the boost a little more ...(KABOOOOMMMMM) wheeeeee!

know what i mean.........:)

·
Registered
301 Posts
eef mcglikn said:
again...someone will drop $25,000 on a chevy cobalt .....

Actually, I'm thinking about getting one. That is, if I can't find an orange blast or e blue SRT-4 with Moonroof and ZERO miles.

BTW, fully loaded they are just a tad over 23k... with the GME discount and other things... I can pick one up for a tad over 19K, I've already looked into it.

Psi-fi motorsports is currently developing a twin-charging system for the Cobalt SS S/C, adding a turbo to the already supercharged engine. They did this on their project Mini Cooper and saw gains of around 150hp.... if I can do that for the Cobalt SS for less than 4G's, that will put the hp #'s almost dead even with a stage 3 SRT-4.. and the cars weigh almost exactly the same from what I've seen.

Either way, I like the SRT-4 more simply because it has a turbo. That is the ONLY reason. I honestly don't want a four-door car. I'm waiting for the local stealership to get a SS S/C in stock so I can take it for a spin, maybe that will help me make up my mind.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Is the Cobalt something fast? I thought it was along the lines of a Geo Storm.

·
Banned
2,548 Posts
Cobalt is the replacement for the Cavalier. The "SS" version uses a 215 hp supercharged version of the Ecotech engine, which has proven a very good engine. Comes with 18" wheels, heavy duty 5 speed, and the obligatory big stupid wing.

·
Registered
819 Posts
ShelbyGLHS592 said:
Is the Cobalt something fast? I thought it was along the lines of a Geo Storm.
ha ha its got the same engine we put in the saturn redline with a saab trans stock with street tires and 0 mods seen one go 9.40 in the 1/8th.

·
Registered
826 Posts
UWILLUZ said:
if I can do that for the Cobalt SS for less than 4G's, that will put the hp #'s almost dead even with a stage 3 SRT-4.. QUOTE]

So - you end up spending the same $$$ as an SRT 4, but you end up with a Ch*vy..... :bang head

Do the smart thing, just buy the Dodge in the first place.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Actually, if you read my post again... I can get a Cobalt SS Supercharged for around 19k with GME discounts and other *incentives* through my family.

Then if I get a twincharger kit to bump up power to the 350whp range (psi-fi is currently building a kit for the car, this specific engine/tranny/etc.) for around 4G's, we are looking at a total of around $23,000-24,000..... I cannot get any discounts on the SRT-4, it's gonna cost me a little over $22G's STOCK. Add Stage 3 to it to get 350whp, I'm looking at closer to 26G's.

Cobalt SS - Cheaper (for me). Better Looking IMO (without the gay wing). The interior is without a doubt nicer. Two Doors :thumb: Better warranty than an '05 SRT-4. Bodykits and more personalization options than SRT-4.

SRT-4 - Faster (stock vs. stock) Four Doors :( Not too pretty interior (IMO) TWO (that I have seen) incredibly ugly body kits. Also, with my age, I'll get pegged as being a cocky, punk-assed SRT-4 driver even though I am one of the nicest people around. I don't want to be associated with that crowd around here.

I mean yeah, I know you all are partial to the SRT-4. But with four doors and a crappy warranty (3 years, 36,000 miles) I can live without.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
kedavis said:
ha ha its got the same engine we put in the saturn redline with a saab trans stock with street tires and 0 mods seen one go 9.40 in the 1/8th.

barry out here in spring hill just ran a 13.9 on his ion redline!! as far as i know, he's only modified the air filter box. they're having a heck of a time with aftermarket support right now, and most of them are getting upset that the cobalt is already developing an aftermarket, even though the cars aren't for sale yet. for the most part, though, the ion redline guys are pretty cool.
tony

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
There definatley neat cars, GM is headed in the right direction, finally. Saturn has had that engine supercharged for a few years so there should be quite a few parts to bolt on. The Ecotec engine has also had a few years of develpment, so again, lots of goodies available.

But I agree with Eef, would be nice to race one in my van and blow his 2 doors off, lol! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
roflol..DOG AGAIN YOU RULE....

you "get it"

side note..i see supercharged min at race track...spends all night trying to hook up

eef

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well,
In the coming months I'll be able to give strengths and weaknesses of this particular vehicle. The Dealership I work for has been chosen by GM to produce a Cobalt SS "Supercar" They will be providing the car and an undiscloseddollar figure to modify it with. I have been chosen to be on the team, and will be handling much of the powertrain duties.
Looks like it will be quite a fun project.

Will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DAVE your ship has come in......

GM is going the right way...i even take note of these efforts....AND I DONT LOOK GOOD IN A BOWTIE......:(

.......BUT......when i went to the local dodge dealer (grand rapids michigan) and he said ....no srt test drive....for my son ..(who races the shelby for 2 years)...sorry kid you are'nt our kind of clientell......and your too young (21)....... i felt sorry for mopar.....and i told the dealer that my son's could get under that car and change the clutch or pull and replace the motor ....they were true mopar fans......he did'nt care.....i didnt tell him that one has his house payed off.....

i will make a point of lining up against an srt this spring....the ol' shelby might not get it done but the stang will........

if you are in an srt and you see ol' eef at a light....its personal.

eef

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
Thats a shame, salesman like that need to be shot. Its like my very rich american friends, worth millions. Looks and dresses scruffy, decided one day to go buy a new Porche. Went to the local dealer in Redmond and the salesmen looked at him and told him to go away. Harry told them he wanted that car over there and they told him it was sold. Remember, he has the money, and tons of cash. So hes like fine, goes to another dealer, the salesman was awesome, bought it on the spot with cash and drove off to the other dealer. Holy shit, his eyes almost popped out, lol!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DOG AS ALLWAYS YOU ROCK......:)

while sitting in a new black srt ..so sweet...i remarked to the dealer that i wanted to get an srt for my next car.....he just started boasting about all the people lined up to buy them......
my dad raced HEMI'S

i raced 340's and now TURBODODGES

my kids race....

eef

·
Registered
396 Posts
UWILLUZ said:
Actually, I'm thinking about getting one. That is, if I can't find an orange blast or e blue SRT-4 with Moonroof and ZERO miles.

BTW, fully loaded they are just a tad over 23k... with the GME discount and other things... I can pick one up for a tad over 19K, I've already looked into it.

Psi-fi motorsports is currently developing a twin-charging system for the Cobalt SS S/C, adding a turbo to the already supercharged engine. They did this on their project Mini Cooper and saw gains of around 150hp.... if I can do that for the Cobalt SS for less than 4G's, that will put the hp #'s almost dead even with a stage 3 SRT-4.. and the cars weigh almost exactly the same from what I've seen.

Either way, I like the SRT-4 more simply because it has a turbo. That is the ONLY reason. I honestly don't want a four-door car. I'm waiting for the local stealership to get a SS S/C in stock so I can take it for a spin, maybe that will help me make up my mind.
Dude just get the SRT-4..Better trans, Better engine, BETTER IMAGE

1 - 20 of 67 Posts