Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am currently in the process of getting a dodge daytona. the only problem is that i cant decide which one to get. i like the 1991 iroc daytona because it has a 3.0 v6, but i like the shelby daytonas because of the turbos. can somebody please tell me which one i should go for? i want to know which one would be the best to work on, and which one has the most potential for power. i appreciate any advice given to me. thanks. :D

·
Registered
749 Posts
Id get at least an 88 just so you already have an SMEC and intercooled, saves alot of unecesary headaches unless you really have to have the look of the "Turbo Zs"
Id go for an 89 Shelby Z. Commonblock motor, still a TII 2.2L Engine. 2.5s came in a bit later. Youll have to check on it but i think in 1990 they all came with the better suspension/k frame. www.polybushings has a few pix i came across, its supposed to handle a bit better.
Oh a new dash too, i think this was in 1990? i like it a bit more...

·
Registered
749 Posts
ToiboTonaZee said:
Id get at least an 88 just so you already have an SMEC and intercooled, saves alot of unecesary headaches unless you really have to have the look of the "Turbo Zs"
Id go for an 89 Shelby Z. Commonblock motor, still a TII 2.2L Engine. 2.5s came in a bit later. Youll have to check on it but i think in 1990 they all came with the better suspension/k frame. www.polybushings has a few pix i came across, its supposed to handle a bit better.
Oh a new dash too, i think this was in 1990? i like it a bit more...
The new dash + suspension is the trade-off for no t-tops, for I believe 89 was the last year for them.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
89's are considered by most (not just me...) the "Crowning year" for Daytona's. 2.2 TII engines, T-tops, all the toys,(12 Button Navigators, Infinity II stereos) big sway bars, fatter springs. Some people like the Jap Dashes, I would too if they werent so squeaky,cheap,flimsy. After 90...the great "immortal" TRUE TII engine went away, and the folks at Dodge "lost their way". The Later RT Models (16v) are neat, but were made in such low numbers, and the Company abandoned these people to their fates with not exactly a dearth of easy to find parts, and from what I hear, timing belt issues, constantly?
V6 Daytonas are for hair dressers and secretaries...torquey engines, but they almost all smoke (defective valve guides) and they are mated to the worst automatic tranny in the history of motor vehicles...Plus, almost none (???) go fast mods available, and when employed, only serve to end the motor's life prematurely.If you cant find a decent Turbo Shelby model (preferably the super strong and stable TII model) then consider a low mileage, non "boy racered" TI Daytona if you just want to look cool and cruise in it...but a racer, it is not.
I know I have stepped on some toes with my comments, but they are based on: reality (not emotion) and having bought and sold and modded cars for over 25 years...

·
Registered
154 Posts
the guide seals replace quite easily and solve the problem. that was the only problem with my v6 daytona 5speed. Also the seals might go out every 20,000mi. after the head port and polish and other little things it ran very nicely @ 15.3 in the quarter. and 0-60 in 6.8. I sold it cause i had two many cars. but now i wish i still had it. It would have been much faster if the clutch wasn't slippin.
ah yes here it is http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/448973

ps this is the wrong forum for your question please be more responsible in the future.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The 3.0L is a good strong motor. The 5spd is decent but the 4spd auto should be avoided. There are many things in the works for big power from the 3.0L. One guy in a 3.0L 5spd duster is running 10:1 pistons and cut a 14.3 1/4 mile time. There are several turbo projects in the works, some of us have supercharged the engine, and there are a handfull of NOS users.

Check this post for more detailed info(look 3-4 posts down)
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85653

Harv

·
Banned
4 Posts
To me it really depends on how much work you want to put into it, and what your HP goals are. If you dont mind pulling the head to put on a bigger turbo, and intercooling it, I would go with a 91' TI due to the fact that it will be a 2.5 which I prefer, and it will also have an A568 Trans in it which is second only to the maserati TC manual trans in strength, but it would win out in how it is geared.

If you dont want to do as much work the 89' TII daytona is surly the way to go.

·
Registered
429 Posts
desertsnake1991 said:
89's are considered by most (not just me...) the "Crowning year" for Daytona's. 2.2 TII engines, T-tops, all the toys,(12 Button Navigators, Infinity II stereos) big sway bars, fatter springs. Some people like the Jap Dashes, I would too if they werent so squeaky,cheap,flimsy. After 90...the great "immortal" TRUE TII engine went away, and the folks at Dodge "lost their way". The Later RT Models (16v) are neat, but were made in such low numbers, and the Company abandoned these people to their fates with not exactly a dearth of easy to find parts, and from what I hear, timing belt issues, constantly?
V6 Daytonas are for hair dressers and secretaries...torquey engines, but they almost all smoke (defective valve guides) and they are mated to the worst automatic tranny in the history of motor vehicles...Plus, almost none (???) go fast mods available, and when employed, only serve to end the motor's life prematurely.If you cant find a decent Turbo Shelby model (preferably the super strong and stable TII model) then consider a low mileage, non "boy racered" TI Daytona if you just want to look cool and cruise in it...but a racer, it is not.
I know I have stepped on some toes with my comments, but they are based on: reality (not emotion) and having bought and sold and modded cars for over 25 years...
Nice post, I couldn't agree more!

I think though too, if you are to find a 90 VNT and convert it to TII, that's a nice find.

Sean

·
Banned
4 Posts
Leafy said:
Nice post, I couldn't agree more!

I think though too, if you are to find a 90 VNT and convert it to TII, that's a nice find.

Sean
What advantage would that offer over going with a 91' TI? with the 91' you are not taking away from what makes it a great car like you would the very rare VNT. The only extra effert woule be ICing it, and that is rally no big deal in a tona.

·
Registered
284 Posts
So...ummm.....whats wrong with my "87 Shelby Z? Ok just kidding. I do agree that the '89 Shelby is the model i would personally preferas far as affordability and the relative ease in obtaining parts due to common failures. I have spent a lot of time in the salvage yards here in pa and it is not very difficult for me to see that. Most of the upgrades on my car have come from 89 models and the only problem i ever ran into was a hole drilled in the rear axle to mount the brake line bracket. The 4 wheel disc vented front/rear setup on these cars in incredible. As far as the electronics are concerned I have never had a problem with my LM/PM setup, although i do wish I would have kept my 88 around in case i ever did want to convert. All models offer an incredible amount of space in the engine compartment so if you are handy and inclined, the potential of all model years of turbo car is virtually limitless within reason. I would recommend that as a buyer you go over the main things one would look at when buying a used car, and to me the main thing to beware of when buying a Daytona is the condition of the frame and undercarraige. These cars are heavy and the frame really isnt strong enough to go as long as it should without some kind of bending/warping. make sure the car you buy has a solid underbody as a lot of them that i have seen rot away over time...holes in floor...etc. Another telltale sign the frame is stressed is you simply stand behind the car with the hatch open and look at the drivers seat. About 90% of the cars I have seen, the seat leans in toward the passenger side. You can buy a strut tower brace that helps immensely, but if your car has a bad frame you are doomed from the get go. Hope this helps, i know its long. And oh yeah....I LOVE my '87...:-D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the info

damn, i really appreciate u guys giving me all the advice. its helping alot. i basically just want to know which model i should go for when buying a daytona. (im trying to get one this summer) i really dont want to make a wrong decision when i choose one. o yea, r the v6's or the turbo's better to work on? obviously the turbo's r faster stock, but the v6 is a bigger engine. wut about a turbo v6? well thanks again for the info and advice, and dont stop sending it. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
The 4 banger Chryslers are just about the easiest engines to work on, and the turbo doesn't make it much more difficult.

I love my '87 Shelby Z, but the '89 Shelby Daytona's come with the best general mix of parts. If you want to go fast, I'd pick a lighter car like a Shadow tho.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
if you want speed get a turbo. from the sound of it you dont know enough to turbo the v6. it would be a huge job, and an expensive one.

if you want to go fast just forget the v6, it is not an option for you unless you plan on building basically an entirely new drivetrain for the car

your best bet is a tII daytona of some sort, it has far, far more potential than the v6 for 99.9% of the population

·
Legendary Driver
10,953 Posts
Personally I like the 87 the best. Has the best intake that are hard to find sometimes. A smec harness, CB and bigger turbo are easy to find. Besides in a Tona I'd go with a 2.5 when going the CB anyway and a 3" SV from TU on at least a S60 turbo.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
delmar6189 said:
i am currently in the process of getting a dodge daytona. the only problem is that i cant decide which one to get. i like the 1991 iroc daytona because it has a 3.0 v6, but i like the shelby daytonas because of the turbos. can somebody please tell me which one i should go for? i want to know which one would be the best to work on, and which one has the most potential for power. i appreciate any advice given to me. thanks. :D
I'd stay away from the 3.0 unless you have a lot of $$ you wan't to spend on mods or if your just using it for a reliable Daily Driver.

The 87-89 Intercooled turbo 2.2 Daytona's are the best cost/performance/reliablity(as opposed to the T3) of the bunch.. but don't be afriad to pick up a 2.5L Turbo either. They can be made fast too.

·
Registered
429 Posts
cordes said:
What advantage would that offer over going with a 91' TI? with the 91' you are not taking away from what makes it a great car like you would the very rare VNT. The only extra effert woule be ICing it, and that is rally no big deal in a tona.
If you want to stick with a 2.2L, and not go with a 2.5L I would totally swap a VNT turbo out to convert it to TII status, having been in a Lebaron VNT, they are nice, torquey and you gotta love the boost response, but I'd sacrifice immediate boost for the chance to run 25+ psi in a Common block without running out of breath at 5300 rpm, like I do with my 2.5L.

To the purist I can see how it may be a crime to modify VNT cars... in the real world any Turbododge isn't worth that much. (dollar value) I guess though it's just personal preference... I tend to like the High RPM pull of my 2.2 85 Turbo Z better compared to the tire-roasting tractionless torque of a 2.5L 89 ES. :thumb:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
another quick question

it seems as if the turbo daytonas are much better than the v6 daytonas. wut years/models are the best for the turbo daytonas? and is it true that a turbo shadow is better, seeing how its a lighter car? i heard a few people say that. if so, wut year for the shadow is the best? (wut years were they made?) i would appreciate if someone answered these questions, thanks.

·
Registered
429 Posts
delmar6189 said:
it seems as if the turbo daytonas are much better than the v6 daytonas. wut years/models are the best for the turbo daytonas? and is it true that a turbo shadow is better, seeing how its a lighter car? i heard a few people say that. if so, wut year for the shadow is the best? (wut years were they made?) i would appreciate if someone answered these questions, thanks.
Well to state the kinda obvious, you are on a Turbododge forum. :rolleyes: ;)

Check out www.thedodgegarage.com to answer most of your questions.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts