Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just got my 84 n/a 2.2 running like a top. took the air pump off, got a mild cam, stock everything else. i want to get a new muffler. i was wondering what muffler would give me a sound that doesn't sound like a ricer but at the same time gives me more decibles than stock. not going to upgrade the exhuast system just yet. just looking for a muffler. any opinion or suggestion would be great.

·
Premium Member
10,182 Posts
Flowmasters make a nice growl, so do flow-etch purple hornies....originally made for (and some stock) on older chevy camaros and trans-ams

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasn't really looking for growl. A more high pitched muffler, but not to the extreme of a honda civic with a high flow sport muffler. i was more looking to find something that gave me a smooth idle with a higher pitch when the rpms go high. a happy medium between growl and super sport 4 cylinder.

·
Banned
7,664 Posts
If the car is nornally aspirated it will be pretty loud w/no muffler. Walker round, or almost any quality straight through is a good choice. In general terms, the larger the PIPE, the lower the tone and more likely it will be to sound like a bumble-bee farting into a can if the displacement is not there. Believe me, a 1600cc engine with a 2.5" exhaust will sound very different from a 2200cc Dodge engine w/same exhaust. I just purchased a DynoMax round straight through to put on my 87 GLHS which will be a 2.5" from the turbo back...including the swing valve. So I should have a good idea the difference between an OEM stainless steel 2.25" and swing valve and the new full 2.5. It should be a bit louder and a bit lower. My prediction.

I am also switching from the OEM 25 year old 2.25" cat technology to a hi-flow Catco 2.5"...so that will change the tone as well I believe...guessing reduced back pressure as a result.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do still have the origanal cat on the car. its an all origanal system. i dont haqve the cash to do anything but the muffler at the time. whatever i go with will make a work of difference though.thanks for all the great tips.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts