Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone ever try to install a twin turbo stealth?3000gt motor into a Laser or a Daytona?? i think it would be pretty rad. or to go even further, adding the all wheel drive and steering also?

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
anyone ever try to install a twin turbo stealth?3000gt motor into a Laser or a Daytona?? i think it would be pretty rad. or to go even further, adding the all wheel drive and steering also?
been done! this post needs to be moved into the 3.0 section!!! in fact the twin turbo 3.0's big brothers the 3.5 and 3.8 have been installed too! I have a 3.5 dohc in my 87 T top!!!

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
here is a vid of the motor installed into a very ugly Plymouth duster!

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
There are a lot of obstacles with using the VR4/Stealth R/T engine. It was designed to be mounted opposite the way teh 12v is mounted, with the trans on the passenger side. With that being said, adapting the whole drivetrain AND rear-wheel steer would be an immense undertaking, including a lot of fabrication and one-off troubleshooting.

The motor CAN be adapted to work in the normal 12v orientation, and if you really want AWD, the Caravan AWD transfer case can be adapted to the A543 5-speed or A604 automatic transmission. You would still have to figure out the rear end, but it is vastly less work.

Also, IRGT the rear steering: While it was a nice engineering feat in the late 80's and early 90's, every manufacturer that has done rear-steer (BMW, Mazda, Mitsubishi to name a few) have since stopped doing it. To someone not used to rear-steer, it made the car a bit unpredictable at the limit of traction, where you expected it to slide, but it didn't and when you didn't expect it, the rear would slide.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Saw the vid before, and thought it was a neat idea, but still wondering why he couldn't put the effort into making the car a little less ricey. It's plain ugly. Funny that this thread should come up. For years, a buddy and I have talked about building a "Stealthy Shadow". Basically, it is exactly what you described: a Stealth TT in Shadow clothing with all the TT AWD drivetrain and rear wheel steering components fitted to the Shadow. In keeping with the "Stealth" theme and because my buddy is also an airplane hobbiest, we agreeed we would paint the car black and provide homage to the B2 Stealth bomber. I think some aircraft like guages and a HUD would be in order along with tinting the windows and blacking out all the lights. Wheels would be either black or gun metal gray. I don't know if we will ever get down to taking on such a project, but if we do, it will be posted on the forums here. Also, I recently noticed that Acura is has recently reintroduced all wheel steering. Not sure if it will catch on again, but it is no doubt leaps and bounds beyond what anyone could have imagined in the '90s.

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
Saw the vid before, and thought it was a neat idea, but still wondering why he couldn't put the effort into making the car a little less ricey. It's plain ugly. Funny that this thread should come up. For years, a buddy and I have talked about building a "Stealthy Shadow". Basically, it is exactly what you described: a Stealth TT in Shadow clothing with all the TT AWD drivetrain and rear wheel steering components fitted to the Shadow. In keeping with the "Stealth" theme and because my buddy is also an airplane hobbiest, we agreeed we would paint the car black and provide homage to the B2 Stealth bomber. I think some aircraft like guages and a HUD would be in order along with tinting the windows and blacking out all the lights. Wheels would be either black or gun metal gray. I don't know if we will ever get down to taking on such a project, but if we do, it will be posted on the forums here. Also, I recently noticed that Acura is has recently reintroduced all wheel steering. Not sure if it will catch on again, but it is no doubt leaps and bounds beyond what anyone could have imagined in the '90s.
I love the idea! the only hard part is the wheel track. the stealth/3000gt have a very wide track where as the shadow is narrow. But if they can install a 426 hemi in a 76 dodge colt than we can do any thing!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yeah, the track difference would pose some problems and probably call for some one off components to make everything fit. Aside from a custom length driveshaft due to wheelbase difference, I'm not really sure what else would have to be changed. I guess part of the solutionwould be to do a wide body, though I really don't want it to look like the quarters had been stretched outward. The whole idea of the project is to make it look like it's still a stock FWD car minus a few cosmetic changes. Doing a wide body could blow the whole stealth cover on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.