Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to put the suspension on the GTC. Before I put it on I want to clean up the knuckles, control arms, sway bar, rear axle, and trailing arms. I was thinking painting them black but I need some insight.

1. What's the easiest and best way to get the rust off? I'm looking for something I can go at home so sand blasting is out.

2. What should I use to cover them up keep them from rusting. I was thinking paint but I know I need to do more than just paint them right? I'd also like to do this at home and would rather not powdercoat them.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I was looking for the best option I could do at home, so I guess I should have used inexpensive.

Only problem is that I don't know where I could find locally that could PC the entire axle. What about having an auto paint shop media blast the parts and then have them paint them?

·
Registered
12,120 Posts
I could have thought of inexpensive, but that word is hardly used around here to keep on the top of the list lol.

Yes on the media, auto paint will chip just as spray. You could have them media blast it, then apply ChipGuard to all the parts(completely) and then paint it. That may hold up. But i'd still look into PC. There is surely a place that does it somewhere around you.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I forgot about cheap and the TD community. :D

AS far as powder coating goes we're having a TD meet today. I'll have to ask the other Utah owners if they know of one with an oven big enough for the rear axle.

To powder coat it I would have to remove everything from the axle right. I am trying to think of what that includes and I've got track bar, flex lines, hubs, bushings, wheel bearings. Am I missing something?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts