Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home from a friend's graduation party today. Everything was working fine until (trying to remember the details here, wasn't really thinking about the car as I was driving it) the clutch pedal felt funny. I was coming out of a turn from a highway so I just pushed harder and now the clutch pedal feels fine(yes I tried adjusting it) but the clutch will not disengage. I can move it through all the gears fine with the engine off, but once its started it just refuses to go in, I don't even get any grinding, it just won't go in(in any gear). I have replaced the clutch cable recently as it broke on me. Also if I push the pedal all the way down and try to stick it in gear the car will move forward slowly. Any ideas?

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
I was driving home from a friend's graduation party today. Everything was working fine until (trying to remember the details here, wasn't really thinking about the car as I was driving it) the clutch pedal felt funny. I was coming out of a turn from a highway so I just pushed harder and now the clutch pedal feels fine(yes I tried adjusting it) but the clutch will not disengage. I can move it through all the gears fine with the engine off, but once its started it just refuses to go in, I don't even get any grinding, it just won't go in(in any gear). I have replaced the clutch cable recently as it broke on me. Also if I push the pedal all the way down and try to stick it in gear the car will move forward slowly. Any ideas?
No doubt about it, you'll have to pull the trans. I'll bet a spring popped out of the disc hub and jambed into the pressure plate. Had that happen to me 5 times from pounding on the car especially on hard downshifts.

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
Do you still think its the clutch even if I wasn't driving it hard?
no I guess not, must be something else but since you said you were not beating on the car what so ever and I'll assume the car has never been beat on, it just has to be something else that I have no experience with. I know the 5 times this exact problem happened to me 4 was due to hard using racing. The one other time I was just driving nice and easy, on the highway, when I pushed on the clutch, it was a lot harder than normal and the clutch wouldn't release. So I limped it home. This was before the internet so I had no one that could answer this problem. So I was left figuring it out all by myself. I ended up pulling out the trans and found one clutch hub spring missing from the disc. the spring was stuck between the pressure place and the cover where the release fingers are. The meant that when I pushed on the clutch pedal, the spring prevented the pressure plate from releasing the disc. all I did was remove the spring, put it back together even reusing the old disc (minus one spring). I worked just fine 'til I sold the car a couple years later.

I only threw out my experiences. Your personal experience may vary or be non-applicable to my situation. I'm sorry is my input doesn't exactly match your situation. I hope that you don't hold hard feelings toward me if I am wrong. I heartfully appologize for giving bad and inaccurate information in the free public forum.

Again, I'm truely sorry if I gave misleading diagnosis

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah since its not at my house right now(in the school parking lot) I was seeing if there was an easy fix. I guess I'll tow it home and pull the tranny, might as well replace the broken power steering too.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't know how old your clutch is. But I bought an '86 with 120k miles on it. I added another 20k. The entire time during those 20k miles the trans was hard to shift. The car used to lurch into reverse.

Finally, the clutch started slipping real bad. Pulling the trans and replacing the clutch is probably the single worst job I've ever done. But now it feels like a different car. It shifts so much better and the lurch into reverse is fine.

If you've experienced any of those symptoms too, then I'd guess it was the clutch.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I really wasn't getting any slipping, it was just hard to push the pedal once, so I pushed it harder to get out of 1st(or maybe 2nd) and then it just wouldn't go back in. I'm gonna replace the clutch here in a couple of weeks, along with the VSS and the power steering rack.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
That sucks!

Will a TII disc do that? I just installed a TII/TIII clutch kit and that scares the crap outta me!

·
Banned
1,695 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Made in Korea probably says more than anything else. When's the last time you heard about the famous, high quality Korean clutch disc manufacturer?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Huh, guess who called out the EXACT failure. Still want to stick with the BS story you never beat on it or doing any hard driving? Comming back from a grad party...how bad were you lit? Would you have passed a sobriety test? :drinking:
I didn't have anything to drink;) I really was driving it nice since it was raining out and its pointless to spin the tires at 25-30mph. I won't lie though, I had been hard on it in previous weeks, but I was driving nicely when it broke. I was actually slowing down for a stop light, then it turned green so I started turning and went to shift out of 1st or 2nd and it just wouldn't release:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts