Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a roomate that just bought a 1990 daytona that won't move. With the car off the transmission will shift into all gears easily, however, when the car is running and the clutch is to the floor, it will not go into gear (grinds). It seems that pushing the clutch in is not disengaging the transmission.

1st: Could this problem be just a clutch adjustment? If so any tips on adjusting it?
2nd: what else could be causing it and how do I diagnose it (other than pulling the transmission. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
pull up on the clutch pedal, that will adjust it, if that piece is not broken. With a mirror check the back of the clutch pedal and see if all the teeth are there. You will see what I mean when you look. What I did was jamb a wedge in there once I had it where I wanted it so it would not move. Until I put in a new clutch cable that is. Really easy job.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked the adjustment and it seemed fine. Also it moves the clutch lever further than my car (A-523 vs A-555) so it seems like it should work...
Anyway, anything else I should check before pulling the transmission?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Was this car sitting for a long time, cause if it was, the clutch sometimes rusts in place. Takes some playing with it, but you can usually work them free.

Although I can't recommend this cause it may not be safe, I've heard some folks start the car in gear , revv it and hit the brakes a few times.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sticking clutch

Have had the same problem with Rampage I have if it sits around for a while. Clutch does apparently stick to the flywheel. I crank the car in gear and pop clutch in and out 2 or 3 times. It is OK until the next time it sits too long. The original clutch is still in it.
DblTrbl said:
Was this car sitting for a long time, cause if it was, the clutch sometimes rusts in place. Takes some playing with it, but you can usually work them free.

Although I can't recommend this cause it may not be safe, I've heard some folks start the car in gear , revv it and hit the brakes a few times.

·
Registered
514 Posts
try this roll the car out to a straight flat stretch of road (NOT UPHILL) .... place it into 1st gear start the car WHILE PRESSING DOWN THE CLUTCH THE CAR SHOULD LURCH FORWARD & THEN START KEEPING THE PETAL PRESSED DOWN FULLY GIVE IT SOME (full) THROTTLE IT SHOULD FREE UP FROM THE ENGINE'S POWER AND APPEAR TO BE IN NEUTRAL ONCE AGAIN.

if not u have a broken pressure plate

1 - 7 of 7 Posts