Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was wondering what the code 41 means? i understand its something with the charging circuit, but is it bad?

car runs fine, and is charging right at 13.8v with blower motor at full speed and the high beams on. didnt give a power loss light either, just gave a code 41 when i checked.

·
Administrator
24,990 Posts
Code 41 is "alternator field circuit is not switching properly".
If the code is stored in memory the problem has occurred at least once during the last 50 key starts.
At this point your problem is intermittent so if there is a charging system problem it will get progressively worse and make it easier for you to find it.
In case you are wondering that problem can be caused by anything from the alternator, engine controllers or any of the wiring in between.
If it were me I would not even bother with it until it gets worse, if it does.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when i bought the car i noticed it has an external voltage regulator, the older mopar kind with the triangular shaped, 2 pin plug.

could this be my problem, because if my memory serves me correct isnt the voltage regulator internal to the power module?

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Code 41 is "alternator field circuit is not switching properly".
If the code is stored in memory the problem has occurred at least once during the last 50 key starts.
At this point your problem is intermittent so if there is a charging system problem it will get progressively worse and make it easier for you to find it.
In case you are wondering that problem can be caused by anything from the alternator, engine controllers or any of the wiring in between.
If it were me I would not even bother with it until it gets worse, if it does.
+1 because who knows when and if you will have the problem again.

Here's what I do with all minor electronic problems(mostly lol). If it happens once, don't do anything but watch for it to happen again. And then again. Sometimes these things can be nothing, if they are a problem you will know down the line when the problem continuously returns.

·
Administrator
24,990 Posts
Yes the regulator is integral to the PM and if there is an issue people install an external regulator rather than replacing the PM.

·
Registered
69 Posts
U'm having problems with mine too. I replaced the PM once already. I recently fried the LM and I'm onto my 5th alternator. Which wires do I use for the external voltage regulator?

I've got another thread going but since I'm here, on the back of the alt, which post is Field, the top or the bottom? Mine is currently wired with Field at the top and Ign at the bottom.

·
Super Moderator
6,975 Posts
using an external regulator will cause the code, my own cars had the same code when i used the external regulator setup.

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
of half a dozzen + cars I've put external regs in , I've never had a code 41

maybe leaveing one wire uncut and rigging the reg wireing around that is the cause - really don't know what unaclocker was trying to explain on this in the other thread , BUT I only ever just sniped off the 2 field wires & ran em to the ex regulator

as the dodge mechanic said at the dealer the day I was told I could use the external reg , it dosen't matter which post on the regulator the wires go to , just hook em up & go

1 - 10 of 10 Posts