Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1992 Daytona ES 2.5L none turbo auto trans.. Is cutting off while driving an also can be very hard to start.. I looked up code 42 which is ASD .. I have no clue what it would look like an I called napa an advance an they don't carry the relays.. I wouldn't even know where the fuse would be cause it is not marked on the fuse box under the hood.. Unless the ASD is built into that fuse box under the hood.. sorry if I sound stupid but I am not a car person just someone that needs this fixed to get to work...

·
Administrator
25,644 Posts
The ASD Relay is located in the underhood PDC as are both fuses for the 2 power feeds.
First try swapping te A/C clutch or radiator cooling fan relay with the ASD to see if it starts(if they are the same part #)
If not verify both power sources are present with the key on.
PM will be sent with wiring.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ASD Relay is located in the underhood PDC as are both fuses for the 2 power feeds.
First try swapping te A/C clutch or radiator cooling fan relay with the ASD to see if it starts(if they are the same part #)
If not verify both power sources are present with the key on.
PM will be sent with wiring.
thank you for the wiring.. my fuse box doesn't have a asd FUSE .. IT ONLY HAS fuel pump, ac.clutch. starter , an 2 others I do not remember what they are off hand... also could you send me a pic of what the fuseable link would look like?

·
Administrator
25,644 Posts
91 and up Daytons did not use fusable links.

I forgot that I have the 92 TBI Powertrain Diagnostic Manual.
This should help.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Can you post pic of where the ASD relay is located? Like i said my PDC cover isn't marked with a ASD relay... I called a Dodge dealer an a salavage yard an no one know where this ASD is located.. I am starting to assume that the relay is located in the computer itself...

·
Administrator
25,644 Posts
First pic/fig 2 is showing the ASD relay location for AG/AJ body.
ASD has not been a part of the controller since 87.

·
Administrator
25,644 Posts
I do not have a real pic.
My 90 uses an ASD bolted to the left fender.
91 was the first year for the underhood PDC on Daytona.

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
i am going to be honest here, on my 92 tona the ASD isn't in the PDC as well, i believe its located in the lower left kick panel in that bank i took these pics at 12 midnight and i will try to get the pic of diagram of the relay bank thats located on and behind the knee kick panel, thats the only other place it could be located as theres no free floating relays in the engine bay

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Administrator
25,644 Posts
See the top pic with the relay labeled "Inj/Ign Coil"?
THAT IS YOUR ASD RELAY.
Previous to 91 the ASD powered the Injectors, + coil and fuel pump.
Starting in 91 on AG body they now use a seperate fuel pump relay which is powered by the ASD relay.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you to both of you.. I haven't done anything yet.. I have noticed in the last few days that the car will not start when it is hot (like if I drive 30-40mins or more) after i turn it off, but will fire up after it is cooled down...my fuel pump turns on every time ..( listen for the fuel pump noise) Would this still be symptoms of a bad ASD? or would it be something else? like maybe my muffler is to close to fuelline?

·
Administrator
25,644 Posts
You said that a code 42 was set in memory.
Clear the codes, be sure they cleared and drive the car until the condition is present and the car does not want to start.
Crank the engine for 10 seconds and recheck codes.
Are any fault codes present?

If you are hearing the fuel pump cycle for 1 second with key on the ASD is probably not your issue but you may have an issue with the HEP circuit or other electrical component.
When the car will not start remove the coil wire from the distributor cap and hold 1/4" from a good ground.
Crank the engine for 7-10 seconds and see if spark is present, spark should be strong and consistant, count 1-2 sparks as no spark.

Post back with weather any codes returned and if spark is present when the no start condition is present.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You said that a code 42 was set in memory.
Clear the codes, be sure they cleared and drive the car until the condition is present and the car does not want to start.
Crank the engine for 10 seconds and recheck codes.
Are any fault codes present?

If you are hearing the fuel pump cycle for 1 second with key on the ASD is probably not your issue but you may have an issue with the HEP circuit or other electrical component.
When the car will not start remove the coil wire from the distributor cap and hold 1/4" from a good ground.
Crank the engine for 7-10 seconds and see if spark is present, spark should be strong and consistant, count 1-2 sparks as no spark.

Post back with weather any codes returned and if spark is present when the no start condition is present.
I reset the codes an 42 came back.. I didn't do the dis cap thing cause I didn't know what would be a good ground.. I did how ever switch the ac clutch fuse with the inj/ign coil fuse an that didn't work.. the fuse for the inj/ign was a lil warm when I pulled it out.. Btw.. either one of 2 things will happen either I will have no power( think that is from my gearshift not being in park) or my fuel pump will cycle.. It bucks like it wants to start but doesn't (autotrans)

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
I reset the codes an 42 came back.. I didn't do the dis cap thing cause I didn't know what would be a good ground.. I did how ever switch the ac clutch fuse with the inj/ign coil fuse an that didn't work.. the fuse for the inj/ign was a lil warm when I pulled it out.. Btw.. either one of 2 things will happen either I will have no power( think that is from my gearshift not being in park) or my fuel pump will cycle.. It bucks like it wants to start but doesn't (autotrans)
a good ground would be any metel component on the car like a motor mount or frame rail and did you swap out the relays or just the fuses and if it is getting hot its its pulling more amperage through it or its the wrong amp fuse, and if your shifter is not in park the key will not go past "on" because of the shift park interlock cable system and if your car bucks its could be a possible fuel delivery issue but if you said you heard the fuel pump activate, you need to find out if the injector is firing, but do that after you find out if you have a very good spark

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
a good ground would be any metel component on the car like a motor mount or frame rail and did you swap out the relays or just the fuses and if it is getting hot its its pulling more amperage through it or its the wrong amp fuse, and if your shifter is not in park the key will not go past "on" because of the shift park interlock cable system and if your car bucks its could be a possible fuel delivery issue but if you said you heard the fuel pump activate, you need to find out if the injector is firing, but do that after you find out if you have a very good spark
Not having any real knowledge about working on cars,but Having owned Daytonas for the last 15+ years.. I am thinking it is either my igition switch or some kinda timing issue... would a bad cam do this? I am leaking oil but I don't know where it is going....

·
Registered
156 Posts
...you need to find out if the injector is firing, but do that after you find out if you have a very good spark (for safety)
creeper71,

NAJ is bar none, the most knowledgeable person still living with the desire to help others on these motors and era of chryslers... think of these 2 guys as GOOGLE for TD's.

All input on this thread given so far will help the 3 of you figure your problem if you try your best to follow the tests and ask questions if you don't understand.

I hope you guy are able to solve this conundrum

·
Administrator
25,644 Posts
If you are still setting a code 42 then there is a problem in the ASD circuit but...
You said you hear the fuel pump cycle on for 1 second with initial key on, is this correct?
In your other statement you said you swapped the A/C fuse, did you mean relay(little black box)?
If so relays do get hot, they are designed to handle high draw/high amperage devices.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you are still setting a code 42 then there is a problem in the ASD circuit but...
You said you hear the fuel pump cycle on for 1 second with initial key on, is this correct?
In your other statement you said you swapped the A/C fuse, did you mean relay(little black box)?
If so relays do get hot, they are designed to handle high draw/high amperage devices.
Yes that is correct to both questions... btw I did look to see if the numbers was exact be4 I switched them.... ok I didn't realize they was suppose to be a lil hot.. I thought I should say something incase it was important...

·
Administrator
25,644 Posts
The ASD should be working if you hear the pump run with the initial key on unless you are losing a power feed with the key in the start position.
Remove the ASD relay and with the key on use a 12 volt test lamp and see if you have 2 power feeds present and post back.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts