Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so my combo in short is 2.5CB, s70 turbo, s5 cal, NPR, +40s, 255, tons of good stuff.

i had autolight 63s in my car for a week, then i put in a progressive alky kit today, took it out, and it was missing at around 20psi, so i look into it, my plugs were gapped .035, i took them down to .030, nothing. so i put in the champion 12s (stock) then it ran like a champ, (oh, gapped them down to .030 also, says you may need to if running alky)

so this thing runs great, then it misses again, no high boost, just around 2000rpm, it runs another 200 yards, then dies. so i check the simplest thing and put gas in it (yes my guage doesn't work, work in progress). nada. i figure out its the coil. so i put in another stocker i had at home. fires right up. running awesome again, no missing, for about an hour. then it dies again, no spark.

the only thing i chaned about the coil was i took it off my inner fender and mounted it to the cyl head (to make room for the alky pump) i didnt think putting it on the head would make a difference.

anybody burn up 2 stock coils in one day?

ill check for a grounding problem, and possibly is there a voltage regualtor to it? coils are supposed to get 9v right? maybe im at 12v.

any advice will help.
thanks
zach

·
Administrator
25,737 Posts
The Chrysler coils recieve 12 volts from the ASD relay and use an internal ballast resistor to control voltage.
You need to check input voltage and resistance in the secondary ignition, an open in a wire may cause the voltage to feedback thru the coil looking for ground.
Use a spark tester to be sure the coil is capable of 40kv and you are getting a minimum of 25 kv at the plugs.
Thexton makes an adjustable spark tester and OTC makes one that looks like a spark plug with a ground clip and requires 25 kv to fire, both are around $10-$15.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, you gave me some good information, there is snow on the ground this morning but im gonna go out and check it out.
thanks

hey i also noticed that it says logic module at the bottom, i have 88/89 electronics, would this make a difference?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i got an msd blaster 2 coil and a ballast resister, going to try this out here in a bit.

·
Administrator
25,737 Posts
I gave you wiring for the vehicle that is listed by your user name. The coils are the same for all years(unless you are using aftermarket generic or performance then you need an external resistor) only the control location has changed.85-87 the ASD is part of the PM,88-90 it is mounted on the L/S fender and 91-up it was moved to the PDC.
88-89 should be the same wiring and controller terminal location.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
another question as well, what causes a HEP to go out?

i see on here its a good idea to have a spare, which leads me to believe they are kinda crappy.

im getting spark now, everythings working good, i put in a spare HEP i had (wondering why it didn't run), it ran and idled great, then missed and died a block from my house.

·
Administrator
25,737 Posts
My experiance is always that the wiring fails, any small bends or kinks causes internal breakage especially at the point where it exits the distributor.
I wrapped the wiring with electrical tape where it exits the distributor and sits on the housing and "looped" the harness around to the connectors securing it with wire ties to the underhood harness so it cannot move and vibrate.
I had to leave the water shield off of the distributor with the harness taped or it would pinch the wiring when installed causing failure.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah thanks for your help man, appreciate it.

went to the dealer, ordered a HEP, be here tomorrow, just sucks that it was 88 bucks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts