Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh boy oh boy I've got cold A/C again!!!

I bought my R/T just recently and the A/C was one of the things not working. I found a busted o-ring at the compressor and lots of built up gunk right around that area. Has to be the major leak so I replaced the o-rings and got some Freeze 12.

I just got back in from charging the system and it was 40-degrees out the vent sitting still in my 80-degree garage. WOO HOO!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
COOL :thumb:

The compressor on my wifes caravan locked up saturday night .....a couple of months out of warranty. :bash:

In this part of the country a/c is not optional.........its mandatory!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
751 Posts
Turbo3IROC said:
Wow, you're lucky. I had to find a compressor to get my a/c working. Now it's dead again but you don't need it often up here. When I lived in the South it was a necessity ;)
Theres one on ebay right now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,543 Posts
Where'd you get R12?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
Well mexico is the closest place that makes it still and if it's pure r12 I want to know how much you paid! Did you recharge it yourself?

But on a side note, I was going to retrofit my system when I rebuild the engine. But now I might wait since the new refrigerant is coming out, R152a.

-Courtney (EPA certified to handle mobile airconditioning refrigerants)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
klee said:
COOL :thumb:

The compressor on my wifes caravan locked up saturday night .....a couple of months out of warranty. :bash:

In this part of the country a/c is not optional.........its mandatory!!!!!!!!!
You got that right!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
_9_ said:
Well mexico is the closest place that makes it still and if it's pure r12 I want to know how much you paid! Did you recharge it yourself?

But on a side note, I was going to retrofit my system when I rebuild the engine. But now I might wait since the new refrigerant is coming out, R152a.

-Courtney (EPA certified to handle mobile airconditioning refrigerants)
Freeze 12...and yes I did charge it myself. Used my dads vacuum pump and gauges and did it myself. $7 per 12oz can of refrigerant and $5 each for the oil charge and leak detect.

I looked into the 152, but decided not to since I can do the Freeze 12 at a LOW price and get it done myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tudds said:
I bought the fittings but to convert my car to 134 but I have no clue where they go.
R-134a is quickly becoming a waste of time and money. Has anyone noticed the price has tripled recently?!

But if you must use it...the adaptors screw directly onto the OE charge ports. They will have black caps on them just like valve stem seals on your rims.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Una said:
Yeah, I work at an AC shop and we're hurtin with the new 134a prices. It's flat out cheaper to recharge an old 3lb system with R12 than to convert to 134a. Pretty bad considering they don't even make R12 anymore..
Anyways, Freeze-12 is the stuff I run, it's hydrocarbon based. Works awesome, puts less load on the engine, cools as well as R12. :) Just can't sell it to customers at the shop I work at.. Kinda illegal. :)
I hear ya man...but I thought there were no regulations on Freeze 12. Oh wait I live in Lousiana where everything is 50yrs behind...sorry I forgot.

You guys don't know this or didn't even read that I typed it, but my dad still has a 20lb bottle of R-12 that's nearly full. :thumb: Boy I wonder what someone would pay for it?

A friend of mine has a full 50lb bottle of R-22. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,543 Posts
What is R-22? predecessor to r12?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
I converted my 90 Spirit over to R134 a few years ago and have not been impressed with how it cools compared to the way it was before with R12. I will be needing to do my 92 D350 system in a month or so and might like to try the Freeze 12. Where can I get it? Is there anything I have to change to use it (dryer, condenser, .....)?

Thanks, Steve.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TRASH said:
I converted my 90 Spirit over to R134 a few years ago and have not been impressed with how it cools compared to the way it was before with R12. I will be needing to do my 92 D350 system in a month or so and might like to try the Freeze 12. Where can I get it? Is there anything I have to change to use it (dryer, condenser, .....)?

Thanks, Steve.
R-134a requires a little help on some cars to work real well...most noted is a REAL Good cooling fan. R/T's have a great cooling fan so converting to 134a should be fine, but sometimes it just doesn't cool enough. 134a makes a lot more pressure as I understand and needs this cooling on the condensor.

Freeze 12 is a direct replacement for R-12 so no system changes need to be done, but of course you do need to make sure there are no leaks and all the components are in good working order.

I will PM you with the link to where I got my Freeze 12.

BTW, the heat is really getting up here in Louisiana so the test is on!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,104 Posts
I went to Wal-Mart and bought a flat of R134 for 5.99/can, Auto Zone is up to 11.99 for a can, so I got some which it was cheap. I converted my R/T and my 93 Cummins and both of them get pretty chilly. I hear the 134 is up due to a supply issue, but who knows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mopar2ya said:
I went to Wal-Mart and bought a flat of R134 for 5.99/can, Auto Zone is up to 11.99 for a can, so I got some which it was cheap. I converted my R/T and my 93 Cummins and both of them get pretty chilly. I hear the 134 is up due to a supply issue, but who knows.
No idea, but I mentioned it earlier in the thread that WalMart was still cheap. Thanks for bringing it up again Wallace.

AutoZone around here is up to $12-14 per can of R-134a.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top