Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this is my '89 ES T1 5 speed, this is the way it was when I bought it. Previous owner was a younger guy who this mod, kinda half cobbled together IMO. He said he found the layout on the internet from other people who do it this way, I don't know, I've never seen any pictures of a TD looking this way. Anyway, I'm in the process of taking out the mix & match silicone/aluminum configuration and going all silicone (with the exception of the pipe with the BOV). That's only half the battle, I haven't been able to think of a way to get the intake out of the engine compartment, or should I say a way to get it drawing in outside air instead of hot under-hood air. I have a stock airbox that I can switch back to, but that's a last resort right now since I do kind of like the performance this seems to give and the flexibility of the after market BOV. So, I want to know if anyone knows a way to run the ducting so it's pulling cooler air from outside the engine compartment. What air filter to use, what piping, what arrangement ect. ect. ect.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Yeah, it looks alright, nothing too outlandish. Few things though, first, you should really have a filter on the BOV outlet, as it does vent to atmosphere when the manifold is under vacuum, and last thing you want is unfiltered air entering your intake.

Second, by the looks of it, you're not running an intercooler, just a later T-1 setup, which doesn't really require a blow off valve. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they're used with intercoolers to prevent compressor surge with all the added piping. I didn't think a T-1 motor really needed one, unless of course it's there just for aesthetics and the sound of a BOV.

I've seen a few people relocate their battery to the passenger side or to the trunk, thereby freeing up room to put a cone filter in that area. Some have even made baffles, that go around the cone, isolating it from the engine compartment, so that only the cold air entering in that area goes into the filter.

You can try knocking your driver's side headlight out to gain more air, or trying to snake some tubing down i behind the front bumper or into the wheel well.

Best of luck and regards, TheCanadian

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Second, by the looks of it, you're not running an intercooler, just a later T-1 setup, which doesn't really require a blow off valve. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they're used with intercoolers to prevent compressor surge with all the added piping. I didn't think a T-1 motor really needed one, unless of course it's there just for aesthetics and the sound of a BOV.
Alright, I'll correct you since you're wrong:D A BOV is beneficial to any blow through(Throttle blade after turbo) setup. An early TI doesn't need one since it's draw though(throttle blade before the turbo). You are correct about the compressor surge, but it only has to do with the throttle plate closing while the turbo is still spinning. Not because of an intercooler or piping.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
2.5 T1's came from the factory with a blow off valve in the airbox.
I used an intake hose off a N/A 2.5 for my cold air intake haha

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used an intake hose off a N/A 2.5 for my cold air intake haha
I was thinking along those lines, I grabbed one from a V6 last time I was at the junkyard, much longer, but not sure about the routing or which aircleaner fits and where it fits, do you have any more detailed pictures?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I don't have any better pictures at the moment.I put my filter back under the hood like yours for the winter.Ill do it again soon and put up pictures.I just attached the N/A intake hose to the stock hose off the turbo and ran it under the battery then zip tied the filter to the plastic around the wheel well.

·
Registered
760 Posts
It looks like you can take the cone filter off and in its placce, put a 90* bend leading straight to the SMEC/SBEC (dunno what you have). After connecting it to the SMEC/SBEC, find the other end of the SMEC/SBEC(should be an opening pointing to the front of the car behind drivers side headlight) and hook a hose there and then run it whichever way you desire in front of the car. After you find which way you want to run it, then I would re-use the cone filter on the entire extension. You should achieve a ram air effect.

Heres what I mean from the explanation above:

And the same thing on my Charger(suck through system but still the same principle):

Intake to Power Module

Opposite side of Power Module behind drivers side headlight

Bottom side of pipe from above pic

Coming through in front of radiator

Same thing but from above view

Comes out to front of car(was a filter on mine but I took it off for pic)

Hope this helps!:thumb:

·
Registered
760 Posts
is the above post a joke?
Why would it be a joke? It works just fine for me...I know in the first pic I just laid a piece of pipe across to show the connection between the intake and my power module.

Either way, when your moving at 25+MPH, you have cold air entering the turbo through that system of pipe and tape.:D

·
Registered
727 Posts
I don't understand how one could put that thought into any project yet cop out on the materials one should be using for something that is of that nature.

Could you explain why you didn't use atleast all rubber hoses atleast? I am not trying to be rude, just trying to understand your reasoning/logic???????

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After connecting it to the SMEC/SBEC, find the other end of the SMEC/SBEC(should be an opening pointing to the front of the car behind drivers side headlight) and hook a hose there and then run it whichever way you desire in front of the car.
I've been investigating that possibility also, the opening in the front where air enters the SMEC is a decent size, but it's obstructed by the headlight and part of the fenders (an inner support of some kind). I don't think I want to cut the fender to make it work, and I don't want to mess with the headlights, I'm trying to stay as close to stock as possible, or at least keep it easy enough to return it to stock.

·
Registered
349 Posts
when running a turbocharger unhood air temperatures being drawn into the air cleaner are minor. the air compressor on a turbocharger compresses the air molecules which cause heat friction far more detrimental than the under hood air temperature. installing an intercooler is the best way to solve this problem, then drawing air from under hood isn't a real problem.

how ever a 'cold air intake' like ricers run on a Naturally aspirated engine is a problem. then you would want to try and locate the air intake outside the hood for sure.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
OK IMO i would just get a battery relocate kit to the trunk area and then just build a "box area" where the computer is to get the air from the computer to go into the cone. I think that would make life a lot easire and you wouldn't have to completely redo everything. I know on my daytona i was going to get a custom radiator built and then run a cone filter up to the top vents on the bumper.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I don't understand how one could put that thought into any project yet cop out on the materials one should be using for something that is of that nature.

Could you explain why you didn't use atleast all rubber hoses atleast? I am not trying to be rude, just trying to understand your reasoning/logic???????
Nah, you're not being rude. I can agree that the materials could have been better for the application but since the air entering the turbo is neither under vacuum or boost, aesthetics and materials used really aren't that important if it gets the job done.

Regardless though, when the car is sitting at idle, you can feel air being sucked into the opening which tells me that the turbo is getting cold air from outside. Now when the car is moving at 25+MPH, cold outside air is being forced through the opeing, through the pipe and tape, and into the turbo which, in effect, achieves a ram air intake system.

Also, running cool air through the power module keeps the electronics inside cool, which is why they are hollow. They were designed to have air pass through them to keep them cool, all I'm doing is cooling it a little bit more.:D

·
Registered
538 Posts
Ram air is going to do what? The car is turbocharged...:rolleyes:

Also the intake IS under vacuum.

And that piping is WAY small and is a restriction.

Just an FYI.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts