Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to install the cone air filter in my J-body LeBaron. What do I do with the cruise control, PCV air box connections. Do I need to install a small cone filter to replace the air box connection? Can I combine both of these connections with a T and only use one filter?

Thanks in advance!
Dennis

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
replacing the OE airbox connection with a cone filter will not function as intended.

this region of airbox will be at slight vacuum during high flow/boost engine operation;
SO it will still be providing PCV function.. (IDK about the cruise)

for my CAI install,
I ran the PCV line to a 'tap' in the hose between cone filter and turbo inlet ..

·
Administrator
25,548 Posts
What line from the airbox runs to the cruise?
The vacuum diagram is only showing a line from the turbo to the cruise.

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
here is my stab at a drawing

Attachments

·
Administrator
25,548 Posts
I think I found it.
The newer T-1's use a vacuum ejector to create vacuum to keep the cruise operational under boost.
From what I have seen you have a vacuum resevoir in or near the airbox for the same purpose.

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the only thing I can think of is the turbo creates vacuum when the turbo is in boost

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NAJ does my sketch make sense? Lets face it, I need start with reading the turbo boost / vacuum.

·
Administrator
25,548 Posts
Yes it does but I am still not certain how and why the T-1's are setup that way.
Never really got a real explaination.
I am used to seeing manifold vacuum directly to the cruise servo which is what my setup(T-4) is like with a check valve inline.
I never use cruise in boost so not sure how it reacts and never looked at the boost gauge to see where it goes if I depress the "accel" button.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
the only thing I can think of is the turbo creates vacuum when the turbo is in boost
that's what I said

i dont have any cruise control cars,
but they would need some sort of 'vacuum ejector' to supply vacuum to the cruise servo under boosted operation...

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
when in vac the PCV is open slightly pulling and the turbo is at idle slightly pulling.

Then you hit boost, the PCV SHUTS, it isn't going to pull anything past then with the intake pressurized. But the turbo pulls a lot harder to compensate.

This is required to keep the engine from leaking oil everywhere and to help the rings seal during boost to lower blow by. When adding a cone filter you need to add a catch can and run it off the turbo at the compressor.

T the line at the compressor and run a check valve off it to the cruise can. Then T it at the cruise and run it back to the PCV line. vac from the engine before boost and vac from the turbo after boost.

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
very cool

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"When adding a cone filter you need to add a catch can and run it off the turbo at the compressor" Are you using the compressor to create vacuum under boost?

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what do you think about this idea..... still havig upload issues

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
"When adding a cone filter you need to add a catch can and run it off the turbo at the compressor" Are you using the compressor to create vacuum under boost?
pretty sure Pope meant 'compressor inlet' ...
which is functionally the same as the OE location in airbox,
or my suggestion in plumbing between filter <-> compressor inlet

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
deleted because I still can not upload files.

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
emailed the file to midnighttoker so he can upload my drawing.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
As posted on T-D by MINIMOPAR 02-09-2005
Thanks
Randy

Naturally Aspirated

Here's how it works: the cruise servo uses vacuum to operate. On 1988 and later cars, they added a second vacuum source from the turbo. If you look at your vacuum lines from the cruise servo carefully, you will see a "Y" connection, two check valves, and one line going to the brake booster and the other to a "T" near the airbox. When you are in vacuum, the brake booster is the source. When you are in boost, a line that is connected to the turbo compressor housing is routed to the airbox. Right before it vents into the airbox, it goes through that same "T". If you take that T out and look inside, you will see an aluminum insert. That insert uses the boost from the turbo to generate a venturi in the T. The venturi effect creates a vacuum just behind the end of the aluminum insert, which is where the line from the cruise ties in. So there you go: vacuum made from boost. *Whew*

I think they added this because the little Mitsu goes into boost so easily that the cruise wouldn't work on the highway.

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thoughts anyone?

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bump

1 - 20 of 67 Posts