Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to this older dodge 4 cylinder scene. Ive been into neons now for over 7 years and bought a running automatic 85 dodge omni the other day to swap. I want to put a stratus 2.4 liter out of my neon down in this car. I would like to do transmission, motor and all. I have megasquirt if needed, but I would like some help in direction with the swap itself, suspension and wiring. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Anything is possible with enough time & $$$$

It will take custom fabricated motor mounts, custom half shafts, and a lot of fab work... I've also read that there can be clearance issues on the passenger side between the crank pulley and the frame on an L-body when you install the 2.4...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. I just need a little assistance. i can do all the fab work. Its just knowing if anything is interchangeable. I saw somethings about people using 2.2 transmissions and k-car axles but wasnt sure because I didnt see anything on omni for say.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
The easiest way to drop a 2.4 in is to use an older trans. 3 of the 4 mounting holes line up perfectly, and you can use a 2.2 flywheel on the 2.4. Some folks don't worry about the 4th hole, some fab a bracket to bridge the difference, some machine the bellhousing and TIG in a boss for the 4th hole. Which 2.4 you use can make a difference as well. The 2.4 mounts the starter on the front facing side of the trans, our TD's are on the back. You have to use the later small Nippon starter, and may have to clearance the oil drainback bosses on the back of the 2.4(depending on year) to clear the starter. You definitely want to use a newer style trans (520/523/555/568). The 525 the L-body comes with probably won't stand the abuse very long. The 520/555 trans can be converted to use the L-body rod linkage shifter, the 523/568 require adapting a cable shifter. Since you are using the later trans, it has larger splines in the diff, so you need to use 89 up Omni automatic axles so they will match the larger diff. After that, it's fab work and ECU work to get it all running...:D

Good luck...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info! i hope to get started on it very soon. i may have some further questions on all this and to figure out some things because like i said im new to this older 4 cylinder stuff. im a dodge person but never messed with these types of cars so im a little lost in some places. but thanks a lot man

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
I've considered going down the path you are, but I'm a bit of a "purist", and I know the 2.2... I just can't bring myself to transplant another motor into my Scamp...

·
Administrator
3,969 Posts
Moved to the 2.4L Turbo section, you should get more help and comments out here.

When you start up the project set up another thread in the project section, love to see another 2.4T Omni swap, would be even sweeter if it was keep base model stock (sleeper!!) :)

·
Administrator
3,969 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will post pics of the 2 cars i will be using soon. I wanna keep it as stock looking on the outside and inside as possible. Plans are 01 pt cruiser motor, big turbo, stock interior and appearance with a cage. Gonna see how this pans out

·
Super Moderator
11,684 Posts
you could save a huge effort just swaping the 2.4 twin cam head onto the 2.2 or 2.5

saves fabbing mounts , messing with trans stuff etc

I'm jus sayin , I don't want this to read as a cut down on your current plan
just , same thing - easier and it may give you a better bottom end and trans to boot

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
The Hybrid setup is always an option, but you have drawbacks from doing either the 2.4l swap or the Hybrid setup. For me, I ran the Hybrid setup because I enjoyed the challenge of the machining and I hate making custom mounts. But plenty of people don't have an issue with the mounts or aftermarket engine management systems.

The 2.4l is easiest with the older transmissions. The 523/568 use the same shifter setup as the Neons so if you are transferring from a manual trans neon then you are good. Plus the 523/568 don't seem to have the same issues with shift forks as the neon transmission seams to have.

But here is a link to my build, good luck and hope to see another strong running L-body out there with a 2.4l top end.

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11/f48/842649-2-5l-hybrid-1983-dodge-rampage.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts