Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize nearly all want performance over comfort,but I'm going to increase my HP and torque(topend side of motor) while increasing comfort,which should keep performance equal to what it is now,or even none at all,once changes are made, since comfort will only penalize me in quickness and body roll.

L-BODY type.

Yes L bodies are uncomfortable,but I have the time and attention to detail to upgrade the ride characteristics,looking for feedback on rubber bushings of higher quality that someone here has used or heard used with good results,and sound deadening and "rattle management";) that much of our TD's have.

So to make this a simple question,got any ideas of makes of bushings for L-bodies for comfort and areas of the L-body sound deadening problem solving

· Registered
106 Posts
That is interesting that you are going for a comfortable car. I am trying to do the same thing on my 85 laser XE.

I think one of the most important comfort items are the seats. Try to get some early Laser or Daytona mark cross leather seats. My car has the mark cross seats and they are a lot more comfortable than the seats L body cars come with. A strut tower bar may reduce some dash rattle. I tried stuffing foam rubber up inside the dashboard and used foam rubber backed tape behind many of the plastic panels. That took away all dash rattle.

I hope to put additional sound insulation under the carpet when I can find something cheap.

· Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The seats being original Shelby are not an option,I may try to create a shock absorbing shim or spring in the future at the base,most likely a rubber spacer sandwiches between the mounting bolts.

The idea for padding the dash and interior rattle I may try,thanks!

I just might go with OEM bushings all around until I get feedback otherwise,time is an issue and a later upgrade will have to wait.

BTW I;m not sure if I should take "tryingbe" seriously,even though there is a vein of truth to the comment,my old Javelin rode nice with worn struts,almost like a Cadillac. :)

· Registered
3,453 Posts
A couple things...

Subframe isolators. We couldn't do it to the rear end very easily, but the front end should be do-able. Too bad the engine/transmission doesn't bolt to a subframe. It is something I want to try some day. Cars with subframe isolators are a world of difference in NVH. But on those cears, the drivetrain is usually bolted to the subframe and not the car's unibody.

Also, some of the Chrysler Imperials and New Yorkers, etc have a molded sound insulation pad covering the firewall in the engine bay. I have a pretty nice one from the junk yard that I want to try installing into my Daytona this summer. It is moulded/shaped to go around the brake booster and such, and should fit quite well on my G-body. I'm going to try to find another for my Lebaron, too. The only hitch that I am worried about is the heat from the turbocharger baking it. The existing firewall heat shield will need to be spaced away from the firewall and insulation pad, but that should be easy to accomplish. Hopefully it is enough of a shield to protect the insulation stuff. It should quiet down my noisy venolia pistons.

New coil spring isolators--the rubber "seats" they go on also help. They are often gone after years of deterioration.

· Registered
13,610 Posts
BTW I;m not sure if I should take "tryingbe" seriously,even though there is a vein of truth to the comment,my old Javelin rode nice with worn struts,almost like a Cadillac. :)
I'm not kidding.

I have worn out stock struts/shocks, new GR2 front struts, GR2 rear shocks, gas-a-just shocks, and now finally the koni struts and sturts in my Daytona.

Guess which struts/shocks are the smoothest and which are firmest?

If that doesn't convince you,

I just replace my Volvo wagon with new shocks in the rear. The stock shocks are so worn out, I have push them in 3 days ago, and they have not bouncing back out still.

Guess which shocks are the smoothest and which are firmest?

· Registered
3,453 Posts
Except for the fact that every single bump in the road feels like hitting five in a row.

Of course, such a car with soft suspension doesn't bounce much even with no shock absorbers. May as well just remove them. At least thats what it seems like to me.

· Registered
2,179 Posts
Rubber bushings, new stock motor mounts, replace the stock sound insulation with dynamat (or add it and leave the stock stuff too) would be the easy things. Also, new weather stripping and good qulaity dampers that are valved properly for the car would be good, but very difficult to accomplish.

· Registered
263 Posts
in behind plastic panels that have no roll up windows (so its sealed and no moisture can get in there) get some pink house insulation. I don't remember the specification but it has paper on one side and pink fiberglass on the other. stuff it under the back seats, behind the dash, in the sides of the car, under the carpeting, pretty much anywhere there isn't going to be moisture leaking in from a roll up window.

· Premium Member
10,119 Posts
comfort you go with swap bars instead of spring rates. So stock GLH springs and larger sway bars, 1 1/8" front and 1" rear. Then run at least a GR2, they aren't that bad. The GLH / SC have soft seats, went 3,700+ miles in a week with my 3 boys in the GLHS. Next is tire pressure, run 25 PSI. 44 PSI will jar you in a GLH, I run 15 PSI on ice. I don't like the wore out stuff, you bottom on hard stuff and the car shakes out rought stuff. Stronger springs and Konis are a riot with pot holes.

· Premium Member
10,119 Posts
Well I have a GLHS and a 89 CSX, then drive a 3/4 ton and a 1 ton during the day. GLH with GR2s feel wonderful lol

· Registered
51 Posts
I realize nearly all want performance over comfort,but I'm going to increase my HP and torque(topend side of motor) while increasing comfort,which should keep performance equal to what it is now,or even none at all,once changes are made, since comfort will only penalize me in quickness and body roll.

L-BODY type.

Yes L bodies are uncomfortable,but I have the time and attention to detail to upgrade the ride characteristics,looking for feedback on rubber bushings of higher quality that someone here has used or heard used with good results,and sound deadening and "rattle management";) that much of our TD's have.

So to make this a simple question,got any ideas of makes of bushings for L-bodies for comfort and areas of the L-body sound deadening problem solving
Hey Curt, hows the car doing?

Your probably feeling the twisted seat frame in that car. Whether it was a business guy with a briefcase in the back seat or someone constantly resting their are on the other seat, the right shoulder is pushed back. It killed me all the time.

jOe

· Banned
313 Posts
I can't remember which way the old Porches did it. Either softer springs with stiff shocks or stiff springs with softer shocks. One way or the other, the ride was good and handling was not compromised.

I'll have to get in touch with my friend who has a couple old 356's and have him remind me which combination was their formula for a good quality ride and great handling.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.