Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone show the difference between the type of engine block. I know what the differences is but I have never seen a common block up close thats why. Does anyone have any pics?

Dan Rose

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The last 2 digits on the back tell the year....generally 89+ is common block, no fuel pump plate, straight rear oil pan rail and thicker mains and more casting in the bottom end. But beware....there are "common blocks" that appear to be T1's. I have one. They come with T1 rods and stuff but the block itself is just as strong as the common block.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Ya, the lack of the fuel pump block off plate to the left of the distributor is usually the first sign that it's a common block. Once you have access to the rear of the engine you can see the year cast into it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I cannot tell if my block is an common block or not. it is cross drilled. I just dont know what plate im looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Ya, the lack of the fuel pump block off plate to the left of the distributor is usually the first sign that it's a common block. Once you have access to the rear of the engine you can see the year cast into it.
Obviously there will be a block off plate to left of the distributor. If there isnt a plate, more then likely you have a common block.
88's were crossdrilled too I believe.
Also the date will be on the back of the motor on the block.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
That happens.
There are ways to figure out its an 88.
If its what is in your sig, is it a t2 car?
If its a 2.2t1 car then its definitely an 88.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Correct they are t2 rods with full floating pistons.
The rods and crank are forged.
Good bottom end for a mild to well built set up.
Eventually those that are making some BIG power (usually 250+ is what I would consider big power or bigger power) I would suggest forged pistons. Cause at that hp level you have to have a dead on tune to keep from melting pistons and still have it be half ass reliable (this is a td we are talking about)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yea i have forged JE's :) But i have a cast crank for a common block now and a rusty forged crank out of this 88 block. so looks like i'll have to get it cut :(

·
Registered
447 Posts
my 89 common block has a 88 year make ,so be %100 sure and not %99 ;)

What is the date mark before 88?,for instance my 8-10-88 it will be a 89 block.

Not sure exactly what month the manufacturer began the 89 block,I will place a guess it will be beginning in mid July (7).
Maybe someone can confirm or dispute that month.

Also, I didn't see you confirm the block off plate which really tells the story.

Here is a early 2.2,as you can see the fuel pump is to the left and slightly under oil filter,now imagine your going to block that off.
If there is a physical plate there its a non com.
Example: http://www.allpar.com/photos/bios/weertman/1981-22.jpg

Now,If its a com block,there will be no way a fuel pump could be located there,or any place to bolt a pump at that location,it will have a slight "horizontal running" rounding of the block here.

check again, be %100 ;)

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
nah totally different motor.
It says 88 on the block,
Should have checked when i bought it.
Pistons and rods are still good for 89 t2 right?
if the motor is stamped 88, its more then likely it could be a common block motor!!

just look for the block off plate.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
my 89 common block has a 88 year make ,so be %100 sure and not %99 ;)

What is the date mark before 88?,for instance my 8-10-88 it will be a 89 block.

Not sure exactly what month the manufacturer began the 89 block,I will place a guess it will be beginning in mid July (7).
Maybe someone can confirm or dispute that month.

Also, I didn't see you confirm the block off plate which really tells the story.

Here is a early 2.2,as you can see the fuel pump is to the left and slightly under oil filter,now imagine your going to block that off.
If there is a physical plate there its a non com.
Example: http://www.allpar.com/photos/bios/weertman/1981-22.jpg

Now,If its a com block,there will be no way a fuel pump could be located there,or any place to bolt a pump at that location,it will have a slight "horizontal running" rounding of the block here.

check again, be %100 ;)
ya u said it all

+1

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well thanks a lot!! i think it is an 89 common block. There is definatly no plate whatsoever there it is just solid block :)) hope it's an 89 if not i wasted a bunch of money at the machine shop lol. Guess i'll find out when i try to put the crank in lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
I checked out the turbogarage web site and read that the non common blocks are only good to 275hp. Being that i have an 88 t2 and i am building for 450hp this is a area a concern for me. Can any tell me whether i should be worried about the block.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Well, I also have an 88 non-cb that I've been running for 4 years now with No issues. I've changed 1 HG. Now pushing over 500WHP and has been 450+WHP for the last 3 years. If you do it right, the non-cb's can be pretty stout! :woot woot:

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
The last 2 digits on the back tell the year....generally 89+ is common block, no fuel pump plate, straight rear oil pan rail and thicker mains and more casting in the bottom end. But beware....there are "common blocks" that appear to be T1's. I have one. They come with T1 rods and stuff but the block itself is just as strong as the common block.
Sounds like you have a N/A engine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts