Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running an E2 T2 Turbo To4E 46 trim with Stage 2 turbine wheel (.48 ARturbine housing) on my 89 Baron 2.5. What hp gains as well as top end / bottom end spool up would I expect going with a 50 trim / .63 AR housing. Going to an all ported head and manifold with a 350 hp goal. Thx

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
thats really a strange setup. A stage 2 wheel in a .48 housing? Then you have the BS involved with running a hybrid with only a 46 trim wheel? You can make 350 WHP with a S60 T3 turbo. They normally come with a stage 1 or 2 wheel and a .63 housing. If you look at sizing and you want fast spool up and a better daily driver the S60 T3 is the right choice, or just change the turbine housing on the turbo you have. The S50 is a great turbo but is more mid to top end range and will hit softer. So you can make the 350 HP at low boost. When sizing the turbo you want just big enough, not way to big. The turbo you have now is a bottle neck with a .48 housing. But even right with a .63 on it it is bigger than you need. In the end a Turbonetics S60 is the best choice and it is a bolt on. The T3 S60 will make 400 crank HP and being a little smaller is a great street turbo. My setup is sized just right for 500 HP and uses the S50 in my GLHS and the S60 T3 is sized perfect for my 300 WHP 2.5 goals in my CSX. Other than a ported head and manifold they both need 3" exhaust on the street. S60s spool like a mitsu with big exhaust.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats really a strange setup. A stage 2 wheel in a .48 housing? Then you have the BS involved with running a hybrid with only a 46 trim wheel? You can make 350 WHP with a S60 T3 turbo. They normally come with a stage 1 or 2 wheel and a .63 housing. If you look at sizing and you want fast spool up and a better daily driver the S60 T3 is the right choice, or just change the turbine housing on the turbo you have. The S50 is a great turbo but is more mid to top end range and will hit softer. So you can make the 350 HP at low boost. When sizing the turbo you want just big enough, not way to big. The turbo you have now is a bottle neck with a .48 housing. But even right with a .63 on it it is bigger than you need. In the end a Turbonetics S60 is the best choice and it is a bolt on. The T3 S60 will make 400 crank HP and being a little smaller is a great street turbo. My setup is sized just right for 500 HP and uses the S50 in my GLHS and the S60 T3 is sized perfect for my 300 WHP 2.5 goals in my CSX. Other than a ported head and manifold they both need 3" exhaust on the street. S60s spool like a mitsu with big exhaust.
This turbo comes with both a .48 and .63 housing. It spools very fast and the .46 trim helps top end. My original build goal was 300 hp, as always it's more expensive to keep raising the goal versus starting from stock with the final numbers final. Since my turbo has less than 3000 easy miles, is it better to just buy the .63 housing and add, or sell this one and start with a new S60 T3 type. How easy is it to add a new housing? I have 3" turbo back ex, 52 TB, +40s, T2 billet rail and FPR, and just installing hogged out 2-piece from FWD and hybrid cast header from TU and big valve porting on my 782.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
3" SV if you don't have it yet. Just add the .63 housing (real easy). If you were starting out it would be more worth it. But for the money to change from a working setup it isn't worth it for a little more spool up. Actually if you have the header it may spool too quikly and just make you slower with wheel spin. If you bought the FWD hogged out 2 piece they ran the lower half to the gasket at the plenum. Thats bad to do if you keep the upper half. BUT its perfect for adding a plenum to the lower half and making more power. You already have enough parts for 400 HP+ or 350 at the tires. With a plenum and a S50 you would need 72lb injectors to make 500 HP or 400 WHP. Also the TU header is the size of a T4 turbine at the hole. When you get the .63 housing port it to match the TU housing, just doing this as bad as it is may make the .63 spool the same as a .48. So your really going to be in the 400 HP range and still be good on the street. With the TU header I find they need the turbine matching to the header and a short turn added to the turbine when it gets cut. Then the header need a little match porting at the head, and off to get hot tanked. Mine came with a small pile of metal shavings in it. All should be worth the trouble though. BTW you better port the wastegate hole in the turbine too, the new header will over flow the wastegate and make the boost creep. Tomarrow night I plan to port everything to match and will have pictures up soon on TD.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3" SV if you don't have it yet. Just add the .63 housing (real easy). If you were starting out it would be more worth it. But for the money to change from a working setup it isn't worth it for a little more spool up. Actually if you have the header it may spool too quikly and just make you slower with wheel spin. If you bought the FWD hogged out 2 piece they ran the lower half to the gasket at the plenum. Thats bad to do if you keep the upper half. BUT its perfect for adding a plenum to the lower half and making more power. You already have enough parts for 400 HP+ or 350 at the tires. With a plenum and a S50 you would need 72lb injectors to make 500 HP or 400 WHP. Also the TU header is the size of a T4 turbine at the hole. When you get the .63 housing port it to match the TU housing, just doing this as bad as it is may make the .63 spool the same as a .48. So your really going to be in the 400 HP range and still be good on the street. With the TU header I find they need the turbine matching to the header and a short turn added to the turbine when it gets cut. Then the header need a little match porting at the head, and off to get hot tanked. Mine came with a small pile of metal shavings in it. All should be worth the trouble though. BTW you better port the wastegate hole in the turbine too, the new header will over flow the wastegate and make the boost creep. Tomarrow night I plan to port everything to match and will have pictures up soon on TD.
This all makes sense. I think I will go with my existing turbo and match port it to the TU unit and also match port all the gaskets and manifolds to the head during the big valve porting. Then see how the existing turbo works with the new set up. I can always change the housing later. I did extra work on the upper half of the plenum ports and neck to make sure its all smooth and rounded for lowest restriction. We'll see. I'll port the wastegate hole also. Before going to bigger injectors, I'm only running 40 psi on the +40s, I have plenty or room to increase say to 55 psi if needed. I guess I'll need a BOV, EGT and A/F gauge. Geesh, might as well be able to test and tune this animal. Look forward to your pics and thx.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts