Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright im in the process of rebuilding the engine in my 85 omni glh turbo. I got an engine rebuild kit that didnt come with rods or pistons. The pistons were ok but the rod ends were egg shaped and they definetly spun a bearing. I havent been able to find any place that that has the turbo 1 rods for a decent price. I just want replacements not upgrades. I do not have any engine mods nor do i plan on any. The only place i have been able to find any is forward motion and those are still 260 a set. Is there something i can do cheaper or is that my only option?

·
Premium Member
10,179 Posts
The rods from the 84-85 TI turbo motors are the "heavy duty" rods, which are the same as the later 87 "TII" rods besides the bearing caps and the 84-5 rids have press pin piston wrist pins. 87 TII rods use floating pins, which are retained with circlips.

86-87 rods are the "lightweight" rods, which are just 85 rods that are shaved down for weight. For a rebuild on a TI motor, any of the rods from the 84-87 TI motors should be perfectly fine for your use. In my opinion, the HD rods on the 84-5 TI motors are extreme overkill, since the LW TI rods from the 86-7 years are proven to at least 250 horsepower.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
thanks for the imfo. i was wondering about the lw rods on how much hp they will take. i took apart a 89 tbi and those rods were in there. ill be happy to get 225 in my rig.

if your still looking . i have a set (lw) pm me

·
Premium Member
10,179 Posts
It would depend on what year rods you get. All the earlier pistons are held in place because the wrist pin is "pressed" onto the rod.

The newer ones are clipped on with retainers on the edge of the wrist pin holes.

To remove the pressed pins, I believe the rod is heated and the pin drops or slides out. The later style you just pull the clips out and the pins slide out.

·
Premium Member
10,179 Posts
thanks for the imfo. i was wondering about the lw rods on how much hp they will take. i took apart a 89 tbi and those rods were in there. ill be happy to get 225 in my rig.

if your still looking . i have a set (lw) pm me
From what DDG (the Dodge Garage) says they are only good to 250 HP. After that he says they start to break. But I have also seen other members and users on this forum push the LW rods well past 250, all depends on the tune and how well you are at teaking.

Am U saying go throw in TI LW rods in a 400 WHP monster? No, but from what I understand they are highly underrated and underestimated as far as their limits go.

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
the pin is pressed out cold to remove the piston, the rod is heated to expand the small end to allow the wrist pin tobe installed.

·
Premium Member
10,179 Posts
ok so if i order 4 of these rods from rockauto

1989 DODGE DAYTONA 2.5L 2507cc 153cid L4 MFI Turbo (J) : Engine : Connecting Rod

what else would i need to buy for this to work?
I don't think the CB rods will work for you, you need rods from a 2.2 from 88 and earlier. Any should work, but I'm not sure if the N/A rods are the same as the T-I rods.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.