Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
90 daytona 2.5 turbo

i need to drastically shorten the large radius turn the pressure tubing makes when it comes out of the saginaw power steering pump. it just sticks out too far. i'm thinking there might be a fitting which can replace the tubing and make a much harder right angle, which i can then connect to the original tubing somehow, even if i have to cut it.

does anyone know the technical name for the power steering pump pressure fitting? instead of a flare it has a little bump with an oring.

anyone know of a 90 degree adapter which will screw right in and provide something i could reasonably connect the cut end of the original tube to?

is the tubing aluminum?

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to ask...
Why?
Hehehe..yeah I guess this doesn't sound like fun for funs sake. I'm working on an exhaust header and the power steering pump pressure line comes within a half inch of one of the primaries. The existing steel tube makes a big radius 90 degree turn. A banjo fitting should be shorter and give me more clearance (I think).

I think I have a solution:

***NOTE THIS INFO IS NOT CONFIRMED YET***

From what I can tell, the power steering pump pressure tube fitting, which is a steel tube with an oring on the end, and a tube nut, can be duplicated by a "16mm x 1.5mm oring" type of fitting. I'm not sure what the technical name for that fitting is, but that combo of terms seems to be the standard.

Now, to get the sharp 90 degree turn, I need a banjo fitting whose bolt has that setup. There are actually several places who sell it, one is:

Pure Choice Motorports
"Banjo fitting, part number 11840" Power Steering Rack Banjo Fittings

"6an female to inverted flare"
Fuel Line Fitting

Jason at Pure Choice Motorsports was really helpful and knew everything about the fittings. He says that the banjo fitting crush washer which seals to the pump requires a nice flat clean surface, and that paint, chrome, crappy surfaces, etc..wont seal right, but that he regularly cleans them up with sandpaper, etc.. to get a surface that the copper crush washer will seal too.

The idea here is to install the banjo fitting into the pressure port, and then convert the banjo fitting output to something which can connect to the original steel tube, which will of course be cut and flared, with a new style tube nut.

A picture of the saginaw with a banjo fitting is here: (I think thats a saginaw)

Power Steering Fittings

I havent bought or tried any of this out yet..I'll report back once I have.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow....

well it turns out that zillions of cars use 16mm banjo fittings on the pump pressure port...including chryslers..including my car, a 90 daytona. :/

I guess when its equipped with the ZF pump it uses the banjo fitting. I would give that a shot, except from the picture it looks lik ethe banjo is extra thick, maybe 1.75"? I dunno why its so thick, it looks alot thicker than other 16mm banjos used on power steering lines.

Theres probably a factory pressure line with a 16mm banjo fitting and kinks and bends in the steel tubing that would work in the daytona, but it would take a lot of trial and error or at least looking at dozens of power steering pump pictures and making an educated guess. That would be pretty cool..finding a $30 line at autozone with a banjo on one end that drops right into the car, but im going a different route on this one.

If I can find a 16mm banjo to inverted flare adapter, I'm set. I can cut off the existing steel tube right after that big radius turn that pops out of the pump, and ive got a few inches there to flare out and put a fitting on. Would be pretty clean and easy to do, assuming nothing leaks for some reason.

I found something pretty close, its actually a stock pressure line for some car, not sure which. But its got a 16mm banjo, a short length of rubber tubing, and a female inverted flare, all for $27 from rock auto.

RockAuto Parts Catalog

Its interesting...looks like the banjo has some kind of piece of metal sticking out, probably to lock it in place or something. If autozone has one ill check it out.

Otherwise maybe ill just get the fittings themselves..would probably cost more than $27, or maybe about the same.

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
you may be limiting yourself by shoping only auto parts suppliers

trying industreal hydrolic hose suppliers might hold an advantage

you may even find a bango fitting and bolt that will fit your app with a piece of tubeing already attached to the bango fitting

if you could bend the tubeing and take it and the hose back to the supplier with an alignment mark on them they could prob put the crimp clamp it just like the orig lines for you

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you may be limiting yourself by shoping only auto parts suppliers

trying industreal hydrolic hose suppliers might hold an advantage

you may even find a bango fitting and bolt that will fit your app with a piece of tubeing already attached to the bango fitting

if you could bend the tubeing and take it and the hose back to the supplier with an alignment mark on them they could prob put the crimp clamp it just like the orig lines for you
i was thinking that too, but im betting they are really expensive. ill check them out anyways though, it might be the perfect solution to have the crimp onto a cut line like you suggest.

·
Legendary Driver
10,948 Posts
Just install the ZF pump, Gives you SO MUCH MORE ROOM! And it has two screw holes in the back for installing a heat shield to :)

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just install the ZF pump, Gives you SO MUCH MORE ROOM! And it has two screw holes in the back for installing a heat shield to :)
Okay Ill post an add in the wanted section and if someone has the pump, lines, and bracketry Ill go for it. It might be cheaper than all the fittings too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts