Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone converted a TBI to a carbed motor? If so, what was involved? Or should I just toss a turbo engine in it and switch to 5 speed. I can't take this mileage anymore. I can barely get 20 in a 94 Sundance.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I can't take this mileage anymore.
And you think a carb will be better?:laugh:

Are you getting 20 on the highway or 20 mostly city driving? If it's in the city, lots of stop and go, short trips where the motor doesn't really warm up fully, 20 is about what you can expect. The highway on the other hand, you should be closer to 30.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, yeah. That's why I asked that. Hmm, Highway driving is better on gas. After driving for 35 years, I never figured that out.
The car gets 17-19 MPG. Lower in the city and closer to the 19 on the highway. That's pathetic. Everything is new. It runs great. I've gotten much better years back with a carbed 2.2. I can get 28-30 on the road with a turbo whether TI or TII. I bet I would get at least 22 in the city with one of those. I got 36 all day long with a 2.2 carbed 5 speed car. 40 if I accidently forgot to latch down the air cleaner.:D
EVERYONE that I've talked to about the 2.5 basically say the same thing. They're hard on gas. I even got better mileage with a 2.5 TI automatic.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
must be your driving style or problems with the car

i had an 88 k sedan 2.2 auto w/ lockup followed by a 91 2.5 auto w/ lockup (yes a dynasty with a 2.5). the heavier car got 31.7mpg once and the k got 30-32 on highway driving. if the 2.5 had bigger pistons it would be a thirstier engine but it is a stroker so it only requires a little more gas. the flip side is that it doesn't work as hard on the highway and consequently you don't have to put your foot into it as hard! i'm looking forward to running mexican spec mpi on my 86 k wagon....its getting the better 2.5 from the dyansty to replace the original 2.5!

i be that dynasty would have gotten close to 35mpg if it had a 5spd instead of an auto....and it would have been a fun ride too....you could feel the engine wanting to do more than the slushbox would allow!

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
must be your driving style or problems with the car
I'm sure there's a bit of a lot of reasons. But, like I said, the car runs great. Sure I'm heavy footed, but on the highway, trying to keep a steady pace, it still sucks gas. I am trying to get good mileage and am going out of my way to make that happen. So, I'm not flooring it everytime I get a chance.:D
I recently replaced the O2 sensor. I thought for sure I'd get great mileage. Didn't change a thing. Yes, it's a good sensor. Not a Bosch POS.
I'm compairing this mileage to other cars I have to show that other cars aren't this way with me. A friend has a newly rebuilt 2.5 Shadow and gets just a little more mileage than me. I realize this isn't a new car and there's not as much power as there use to be, but still, 20 is bad. It's getting warmer and I'm sure I'll do better. Bummer is, this is my winter car. I'm a couple weeks I'll be driving one of my 3 TII cars and should be getting 27-30+ everytime I drive ant distance. And believe me, I won't be doing the speed limit.:thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts