Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive done some searching and i cant find any info on how hard it is to change a top motor...its in an 89 lebaron btw. can the motor be changed without draining the fluid in the lines, or not, and if i do need new fluid what is it. none of my manuals have any info on this, any help would be appreciated...thanks all

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,454 Posts
You will lose some fluid, but not much. As for fluid, the pump should be labeled as to type, for amount, remove the rubber plug, and fill to the bottom of the opening, then reinstall the plug.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anything complicated about the fluid lines or electric lines that i should know about?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyone else replaced a top motor and have any advice?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Pretty straight forward, I did my 90 GTC last year.
Disconnect the wiring. disconnect 1 line at a time with the new unit next to the old one. With the new pump connected (reconnect the wiring), take the plug out fill it up (it was ATF fluid in the top motor) put the plug back. Cycle the top up and down and then check and refill to level. Worked for me. Just have a basin (towels) under the pump when you disconnect the lines.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I have picked up 3 systems at jy and all were good. 15 minute removal is slash top on both sides to get to cylinders from top, rip up well boot to get to pump and yank it all out. I would recommend taking more time installing unit in your car. Btw I use them for hydraulics on three point hitches and snow plows for garden tractors. Whole thing at U Wrench It $45.00

·
Registered
89 Posts
It's easiest to get to the motor by removing the back seat. The motor can be pulled off the pump housing without having to disturb the fluid lines or the pump itself. Just remove the two long through bolts and pull the motor off the pump housing. If your motor's not working make sure that the top relays next to the pump have not become unplugged. If the motor is getting 12 volts when you operate the top switch then the electrics are OK. The motor may just need to be removed to check the internal circuit breaker contacts. They get fouled or warp out of adjustment causing the motor to be dead. They may just need cleaning or a little bending 'adjustment" to insure that the contacts are touching ( closed ). These motors get little run time and rarely wear out.

Virtually all american convertibles from the mid sixties upward ( except GM big bodies from the seventies ) use the exact same hydraulic pump.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I just changed one in my 94 GTC last week. I went through the trunk to get to it. No big deal. It pops off the brackets and I moved it closer to me to do the lines. I left the ground wire bolted to the body and took the motor bolt out to get it off the motor. I put a small drain pan in the trunk and some cardboard under the pump so that any fluid would drain into the pan but none made it that far. The bushings have a small hole in the top. Use a drill bit or small screw driver that fits in it to push down and stretch the bushing to help it go back into the bracket. Mine listed dexron trans fluid as the fluid to use. I went with a new pump (260.00) and it came already full. New one was quite and rans much faster then the old one.
Tim

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks all...ill elt you all knowhow it works out...hopefully ill have time to change it in a week or so

1 - 9 of 9 Posts