185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious i wanted to change my 1990 dodge daytona es which is a automatic
to a 5 speed , what would i all need to do this

thanks mike

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
well you would need the transmission, pedal assembly, shift forks, shifter, slave cylindr, and bobble strut. May also need new half shafts I am not sure on that one. Then of course you prolly wanna factory look so you would also need the center console boot if not a whole center console.

·
Banned
3 Posts
slave cylinder? these cars dont have hydraulic clutches.

you will need the whole pedal assembly, cables, cable brackets, shifter, console, the trans and the driver side trans mount along with the rear support (bobble strut). the auto ecu will make the car seem like it is going to stall when you stop hard, it will run the car but you should grab the 5 speed ecu.
your axels will be fine although the factory 5 speeds use a equal length axle setup with a intermittent shaft that bolts to the block.

·
Banned
3 Posts
the only difference you'll notice is that with a 5 spd car using a auto trans is that on decel it doesnt compensate the idle and the rpms will drop and seem close to stalling.

if you had a auto car with a 5spd ecu in it, you wont notice anything different.

its safe to run either scenario, but for best perfomance and driveability use the correct ecu.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
the axles are the same. N/A cars use unequal length axles and turbo cars use equal length axles with an intermediate shaft.
you need all of this stuff
transmission- id recomend a 523 tranny, cheap relatively easy to find and durable.
flywheel
clutch
clutch cable
brake pedal assembly, with the clutch , brake pedal and clutch adjuster (adjuster is located in the clutch pedal)
shifter with cables.
a 5 speed ecu or better yet an ecu with custom cal set up for a 5 speed car
when you grab the trans make sure to get all the electrical connectors for the VSS and reverse light switch. they may be different from the ones on your car.
when you hit the junkyard try and grab all your parts off of one vehicle so you can get everything in one shot, will save you headaches later on!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts