Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my '85 Lebaron 2.2L turbo, the coolant foams up as it gets up to temperature. It doesn't overheat and the heater works well, but it lathers up enough that I get foam coming out the overflow bottle after a conservative drive around the block. Even more interesting is the coolant expands into the overflow bottle when it gets to temp (as it should), but will not flow back after it cools off. I'm guessing the cooling system is getting pressurized.

I replaced the stock thermostat with a 180 deg. one and made sure it had the steam hole/jiggle pin added. I removed the top hex socket plug in the cylinder head while filling it back up and also verified the coolant mixture. None of the spark plugs has the "steam cleaned" look to them.

I am going to get the chemical (can't recall the name) to add to the coolant which changes color at the presence of carbon monoxide, but if my fears are correct, I have four possible reasons: head gasket, cracked head, cracked block (!), or a cracked turbo housing. My turbo has a cooling line running to it.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what was the prognosis? Thanks in advance for the help. :)

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Oclk Dlux said:
if my fears are correct, I have four possible reasons: head gasket, cracked head, cracked block (!), or a cracked turbo housing.:)
Your guesses are the same as mine, and in that order. The 88 Daytona I just bought did the same thing right after a head swap, turned out the block was cracked lengthwise down a cylinder.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ouch!

That's a bummer that the block was cracked. I'm going to a radiator shop today to have the CO test performed. If it fails, at least I only paid $550 for this car, heh :) I know it had a replacement radiator put in before I got it, so maybe the previous owner dumped this poor car after the new radiator didn't fix the problem. Well, I planned on rebuilding this motor anyways. Thanks for the head's up and wish me luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts