Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys while I have my head off i decided to order a set of aluminum core plugs from Cindy. So I was wondering if there was a certain torque spec i should tighten these to? I heard somewhere around 60 ft. lbs. but i just wanted to be sure. LMK Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My two cents: if it aint broke don't fix it! If you have the stock steel plugs in and the head has a lot of miles (60-75K+) on it and is not leaking, it's not going to. Now, if you take the steel plugs out - put the aluminum ones in and torque - put the head back on - and they leak/crack the head because they weren't just right, back off goes the head and off to LWP for weld,etc. =) I just rebuilt my head and I left my steel plugs in there, i'm not taking the chance. My car is running better than ever and still no head leaks(knock on wood)

Now, for your question - i'm not sure of the exact torque spec, sorry. I think most don't torque them down to the recommended spec because it is what cracks the head. The popular thing is to add a sealer to the threads and tighten them down but leave at least 3 threads showing. Someone corect me if i'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I had a head that had the steel ones replaced with aluminum and it cracked... I also have another head with over 135k on it with steel plugs that is perfectly fine. If yours are fine I wouldn't touch them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am glad someone asked this. I have mine apart right now with a head that is cracked so bad that im not going to have it welded and it had the aluminum plugs done at the dealer and where in WAY to far. But the head I am going to put on the car has steel plugs in it and has had them for over 70k miles and I was not sure to replace them or leave them. The steel plugs on the good head are a good 1/4 in or so above the casting

G

·
If they are the 26mm plugs that come on the factory castings I would torque them down to 160 in/lbs and use silicone instead of the thread sealant. You will want to chase the threads with the correct tap(m26x1.5) before you do so tho. If you have a Dunn casting they use 3/4 pipe so you really have to be careful with them. I would chase them with a 3/4 NPS tap and then only torque them down to about 100in/lbs and use silicone as well. I have both taps that I could possibly loan out to you because they are hard to find and when you do they arent very cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts