Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Im gettin code 24, "TPS Sensor over 4.96V", along with Code 37 which seen to refer to some Solenoid, which? i dunno.

So I change the TPS to get no change. :(

The A/F goes fubar during warmup driving, just rich lean rich lean rich, and im talkin WAY rinch and WAY lean. Fortunately im dirivin Grandma style so no real probs with the lean crap, just hesitates. When i do Boost it goes WAY rich.

So could the 5V prob with TPS also be affectin my MAP sensor? i noticed that they share the same source from the puter.

Also i hav a boschitty O2 sensor cuz i couldnt get it out to put in the new Mopar unit that i can no longer find. Thnk u for the help

~Mark

·
Registered
568 Posts
Your are correct about the map and tps sharing a 5 v. ref. But, each sensor has its own sensor return wire. If you've changed tps and nothing happend, then somehow your getting 5v on your sensor wire. If your map sensor was shorted to ground, then it could kill everything else on that circuit(tps,etc). But it would set a low voltage code. I would unplug the computer, then take a digital volt meter and check for resistance between the 5v wire and sensor wire at the tps connector. It should be OPEN. If you see anything at all there, then somewhere the two wires are connected(pinched,chaffed, etc.)
Keep in mind: If the tps ground is bad, then potentially all voltage would go to computer looking for a ground path. So its possible that you have a bad ground at the tps as well. You can check that to. With everything plugged back in(except the tps) check the ground wire to battery ground. You should see less than a 1 ohm of resistance. If not, then do this. Be very carefull, stick a paperclip in the tps connector ground wire(between the wiring and the weather insulator, back side of the connector) push it in as far as you can. Plug the connector back in and run a jumper wire from the paperclip to battery ground and retest. Try this ONLY if the sensor wire is not shorted to 5 v. ref!. Hope this helps
james

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thnk u very much for the reply. Ya, its in my plans of the weekend to take a meter to all sensor circuits and connectors searchin for bad connections (already bought the contact cleaner and dielectric grease). But thank you for openin my eyes to checkin between cicuits for a possible short. Maybe ill get in there tomorrow mornin. Thnx again James

~Mark

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So ive got a lil update. All circuits rang clear from computer to sensors, and no shorts betw anythin unless either TPS or MAP was plugged in an u check 5V to Ground, then ud read thru the sensors. But i did find that the Baro Read Solenoid was totally unplugged. So i plugged her back in. Then the car thru a Code 13, sayin that Baro read and MAP pressure never differed. So my conclusion is a bad MAP sensor :(. Gotta get a new one obviously. Thnx for the Help.

~Mark

·
Registered
568 Posts
Make sure you check that baro solenoid. It could be stuck on/off. The easiest way to check that is to put 12v and ground to it. It should have a noticable "click" to it. If it is bad, good luck finding an original!! Finding a on/off solenoid wont be to hard, you may have to put a different connector on though.
james

·
Administrator
25,548 Posts
I do not know what year vehicle you have but if your baro solenoid is the later model type universal solenoid(connector on top w/3 vertical ports) it is still available from Mopar.
Part # is 5234217, list price is $31.00.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts