Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Power steering fluid seems to be burning whenever I turn from around where the steering pump is (Passenger side) What could that be...it's only when I turn the wheels though not when Im not touching the wheel. Please tell me it isn't the pump

Second My battery won't seem to hold a charge....I boosted it then it ran...I stall it tried starting it again and nothin....I left it running for a good 15 mins before I tried driving it. Alternator or bad battery? how can I test it...seeing that the car doesn't move..It's just a cheap interstate battery.

· Registered
3,600 Posts
My Power steering fluid seems to be burning whenever I turn from around where the steering pump is (Passenger side) What could that be...it's only when I turn the wheels though not when Im not touching the wheel. Please tell me it isn't the pump

Second My battery won't seem to hold a charge....I boosted it then it ran...I stall it tried starting it again and nothin....I left it running for a good 15 mins before I tried driving it. Alternator or bad battery? how can I test it...seeing that the car doesn't move..It's just a cheap interstate battery.
u prolly need a ps pump.

prolly need and alt or a batt or something else. w car runing, pull off batt neg cable if motor dies, alt bad. if runs batt bad.

· Administrator
26,464 Posts
What do you mean by the P/S fluid seems to be burning? What color is the fluid? Are there any signs of air bubbles in the fliud? Does the pump make any noise such as a growl? If so is it louder when the vehicle is cold? Is there any steeing shudder or is the steering hard to turn? Is the belt slipping? It will make a squeeling noise.
Do not go by the disconnecting the battery cable to check the charging system.
First running with a faulty battery or a battery that is disconnected will damage the alternator.
Second a battery that has an internal short will not run even with the battery connected.
Have the battery load tested. Most places such as Autozone will do this for free.
Connect a voltmeter to the 2 battery cables and read the voltage with the engine off(minimum of 12 volts) and with the engine running( should be over 13 volts).
If you are reading less than 12 volts with the engine off, charge and test the battery and then check charging voltage, you cannot properly test the charging system with a faulty battery.
After you have determined the battery is good and if your charging voltage is low check for fault codes, the charging system is computer controlled and if there is a problem in the field circuit a fault code will set.

· Banned
1,465 Posts
Could you be a bit more vague? I became confused trying to weed through your explicitly detailed response.
:thumb: :lmao: i know totally

· Banned
1,701 Posts
Actually the method of pulling off a battery cable, to see if the alternator is working, is a old time valid test. When you do this, and the engine dies, you know that the charging system is not working. It's an easy test if you don't have a multimeter or other diagnostic equipment.

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts

You could have a pinhole in the pressure hose that only squirts when the pump is working hard - IE: turning. that would explain why you get some smoke when turning and you have low fluid.

So clean all the gunk of the pump and hoses with a pressure washer (engine cool - stay away from electrical) and then check your hose after a drive.

Or if you wanna get Hi-Tech, go grab some UV Dye compatible with the ps fluid and look for the leak with a black-light.

· Registered
103 Posts
Have someone turn the steering wheel while you're looking for the leak. I've seen pressure lines spray fluid, on to the exhaust manifold, from a pinhole. These pin hole leaks may be an extremely fine stream of fluid so look closely.

^ I guess we were on the same page at the same time.

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
that would make sense...(the pinhole thing) I will check the lines tommorow..

Damn there is a lot of smartasses on this forum lol...
What I meant by smoke when I turn the wheel was exactly that SMOKE! coming from the steering pump...There is that better?

· Registered
3,600 Posts
You could have a pinhole in the pressure hose that only squirts when the pump is working hard - IE: turning. that would explain why you get some smoke when turning and you have low fluid.

So clean all the gunk of the pump and hoses with a pressure washer (engine cool - stay away from electrical) and then check your hose after a drive.

Or if you wanna get Hi-Tech, go grab some UV Dye compatible with the ps fluid and look for the leak with a black-light.
so ware duz he say hes gotta leak? he says its burning nothin bout leakin. he seems smart enough to no if hes gotta leak

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.