Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is a common place for these heads to crack, but does it mean the head is shot ??
(from the lifter bore straight back toward the valve stem)

you can hardly see the crack on this head, but I have another head which has the crack more prominent

it would be too bad because this is otherwise a nice head, with just 'tiny' cracks between the valve seats

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
David,
Yep head is junk. They crack there when they are really warped. I don't know anyone that repairs Chrysler SOHC heads when they crack in this location. Being aluminum, I'm sure it can be done, but unless this head is the last one on earth, I wouldn't bother. You will have lots of $ spent at the machine shop fixing this. Sure was nice of Chrysler to put a big arrow on the head so we know where to look huh?:p
Todd

·
Registered
727 Posts
David,
Sure was nice of Chrysler to put a big arrow on the head so we know where to look huh?:p
Todd

Yes that head is only worth the weight in scrap, which would be about 1.63 as is or 2.79 cleaned up of all ferrous material. Prices are subject to change upon location and demand.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
it is nearly impossible to find a 782 that isn't cracked. Buy a new casting from 909 raceparts on ebay for $170, then rebuild it. Or run the G casting, they don't crack up so bad. Don't worry if the head is from China, all the 782s suck.

Rob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts