Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my shifter broke for the third time. the ball socket snapped on the main rod. what can i do to fix the shifter? stock 525 stuff.

i would like to do a trans swap, but i am sick of working on this car. i've had it 20 years and now i just want to maintain it.

i've heard of a hiem joint set-up, who makes those? are there any plans i could follow to make my own?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i tracked down a used one (maybe). if i do end up with it i'm gonna make a copy for my other car. if it is easy, i might make more. wont be for a few months though.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
There is an easy way to modify the shifter to make it short throw as well, which makes a big difference in the feel. There is a how-to somewhere on it, basically you just take the shifter apart, remove the pivot pin, and redrill the hole 1" higher. Sorry to make you search for that one too.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
NMike, you shifters are going out today so you fix is coming. But what you will need to "Make your own" would be very easy. Just need to get the heim joints (4 female and 1 male 3/8 x 24), Tap and die for that size. And then bolts and jam nuts for that size, I found that one out the hard way that that is the EASIEST way to do it, but the setup that is coming to you is a course 3/8 which works, but there are no jam nuts for it so I used regular ones. I do make the setup for those who are wondering. But the setup makes a ROCK HARD shift pattern, which worked great till my engine decided to quit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My bushings for clutch the tie rod fell off on main street a little while back, so I ran into the nearest NAPA they didn't have the part of corse. Therefor I just grabbed some I belive they were shock absorber bushings that looked about the right size it didn't quite fit, so I ground it down using the pavement. Then I forced it into the little plastic circle where the old gromet/bushing was and it made the 15miles home then I took the spare bushing (came in a two pack) sanded it down to the a little larger than the right size, then drilled a hole in the center of the sidewall to hold the round ball like rods end better. Put it in some freezing water to shrink it momentarily and popped out the first makeshift bushing and inserted my new custom and it has worked great so far! 4month later and counting.:thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts