Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have a 2.2L TBI 88 Reliant, it is equiped with cruise control and when u are on the highway and u engauge the cruise control u feel it turn on but it just cant hold the power and the car just decels.. so is it a bad cruise control unit or vac problem or what??

are there any known probs with the cruise control systems on these K cars

Dave

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I'd guess vac leak

Of all the places for a vac leak, the plastic cover on mine cracked. It wasn't visible at first. On a wet rainy day the throttle went to the floor making a turn on wet blacktop. Two years later the crack was finished and half the housing fell off. The diaphram inside could be bad, or one of the hoses or connectors. Replace the hoses and then try a different unit.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The cruise switch is flaky on my Lancer. If not done right, the cruise will kick on for a sec, then disengage right away. Gotta know how to properly use the switch. :)

Worst thing is when it's left in the on position, and it decided to turn itself on as you're slowing down to make a turn. Has done that a few times.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
could the cat converter be clogging up? if you don't find a vacuum issue check into that.
Tim

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I p[lan to gut the cat but not before this weekend.. I will recheck the hose but I think that was fine.. and I know how to use the switch so maybe just a bad unit

Dave

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Lametec

Check the plastic housing. That's what mine did till the plastic broke completely. It would kick in on humid days with enough moisture to seal the hairline crack.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The FSM has the procedure to test the lever. If you have a u pull yard local I would swap out the servo, easy enough to do. Servo was my problem when I had that issue.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
turboGTC said:
and I know how to use the switch so maybe just a bad unit
I wasn't implying that you didn't know how to use the switch. When it's working normally, it's pretty idiot safe.

But on mine, since the switch is pretty much wore out, you gotta push it just right, and just far enough in.

looney: Servo is just fine. The switch is the culprit.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh no I know u werent implying fault by user I was just saying I know how to use the chrysler switches.. my lebaron had the same style... but this will kick on then let go then kick then let go then give out lol it never holds the speed at all

Dave

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
K. Mine wasn't like that. It would just kick on once, push you back in the seat for a sec, then let off totally. That is until you were making a left turn, slowing down, at which point it'd come on again and push you back in the seat again.. Quite the surprise when you're not ready for it. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts