Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what i've gathered the pro springs for our cars doesn't even really drop it at all. ive also read that most people cut the springs, as to which end i guess it varies with who's doing the cutting. But all im looking for is about 1.5-2" drop the whole way around the car so has anyone cut dead coils out on their rides to achive this? if so, how's it ride, frankly i'd rather take a 1" drop with a stiffer ride than 2" with the floppy shit goin on lol. but it be nice to get some numbers and some direction on the matter before i jump into it! so get back fast :thumb:

·
Banned
580 Posts
Cutting springs is not a good idea. it's very difficult to ensure that it's even for ride height and spring rate. all coils are important to rate/ride, none are dead.

have you looked into a coil over kit? they are cheap, easy to install and easy to adjust. That's what I did. cost me $40 for all 4 corners. (spring and adjuster)

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cutting springs is not a good idea. it's very difficult to ensure that it's even for ride height and spring rate. all coils are important to rate/ride, none are dead.

have you looked into a coil over kit? they are cheap, easy to install and easy to adjust. That's what I did. cost me $40 for all 4 corners. (spring and adjuster)
where the hell can i get a coil over kit??? if i can get something that'll bolt up or slight modding im 100% game for that!

·
Banned
580 Posts
I bought some coil adjusters and some springs that were a little shorter than what my car needed then put them in. It was a matter of piecing stuff together. The springs I found for the front were 8" long 400# I just took off the strut, took off the spring, set the adjuster on the spring seat, put on the spring, put a centering disc on the top, instaled the bearing put it in the car, then set ride height then checked alignment. Lower the car does change camber so that had to be adjusted along with toe.

·
Registered
13,512 Posts
Every car is different. Start by cutting one complete coil, and see if you like it, then keep cutting more, 1/4 at time.

Ei-bach have deal coils. When the bottom coils compressed, there are no space between them.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought some coil adjusters and some springs that were a little shorter than what my car needed then put them in. It was a matter of piecing stuff together. The springs I found for the front were 8" long 400# I just took off the strut, took off the spring, set the adjuster on the spring seat, put on the spring, put a centering disc on the top, instaled the bearing put it in the car, then set ride height then checked alignment. Lower the car does change camber so that had to be adjusted along with toe.
lol what car do you drive... will such a thing work for my duster?? i would love pictures, part numbers and a descriptive detail if at all possible... what struts did you use?

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Every car is different. Start by cutting one complete coil, and see if you like it, then keep cutting more, 1/4 at time.

Ei-bach have deal coils. When the bottom coils compressed, there are no space between them.

see thats what im getting at! so how does that look on a car, or feel... is that your car or did you pull it from someplace?

G

·
I myself like to cut 1.25 to 1.5 of the dead coils off the 2804s on my Daytonas. I have done that with Konis and KYBs and they felt better than the stock springs in IMHO. Not sure on the P bodys. Do what Tryingbe says and start with 1 and go from there.....

·
Registered
1992 dodge shadow es turbo
846 Posts
I cut 3/4 of a coil off my front eibachs in a 93 duster sits with a slight forward rake like it should:thumb:
leave the stock bump stops they save your fenders

·
Administrator
16,494 Posts
can i get pics of your duster please?? just wanna see how it looks :D
i'm not helping this any i wanna see the final product also lol :thumb: and i agree with keeping stock bump stops,:thumb:

·
Registered
971 Posts
can i get pics of your duster please?? just wanna see how it looks :D
Shred:
Here's an example of the ride height differences you may see.
On the left is my son's car with no mods to the suspension (a fresh set of rear springs were just installed).
On the right is my car, the coils are just the reg Chrysler coils with 1& 1/8 of the bottom coil removed. You can see the difference in the ride with regards to the wheelwell opening. Disregard the front bumper close attitude between the two as the back end of his car was sitting on a rise that brought down the front bumper.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah something like that is perfect! maybe like .5" lower for looks but if cutting 1 coil off the eibacks gets me that i'd be stoked!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
i cut the coils on my 87 dsz, dropped it? NO i SLAMMED it.... lol... cut 2.5 coils off the rear and 1.75 off the front!!! dropped it a tad over 2" all the way around. she drove just fine too with no notabile difference in ride. ill tell you this, it cornered a hell of a lot better though. right now i have no engine in car (rebiuild) so nose is high and mind you in this pic i have 16" pumpers on the car with 205/55 size tires can you say TALL? , so there tucked into the rear wheel well a bit. but when i put on the 15" crabs with 225/50 size tires it sat perfect!!! about 1/4" under the lip of the wheel well lip and still had travel. plus i also have a huge 12" sub and box with an amp, a good extra 50-65 lbs in the trunk. but take out the springs and cut A (1) coil off at a time, remount and check, if 1 coil seems to much do halfs or 1/4s. theres really nothing wrong with cutting the springs. use a string to measure how much you cut, so you cut the same amount off side to side. good luck

·
Registered
1992 dodge shadow es turbo
846 Posts
Didn't get any new pics yet so here's the best one I found
Eibachs with 3/4 coil cut off the front only with 16 inch pumpers with Big205/55/16 tires that are too tall for a shadow in my opinion but they came with the rims. BTW its the green thing in the back round

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
damn that daytona is slamed lol! looks great though, idk if i want anything that crazy. however when you guys say 1.75 or 1.25 is that cutting inches or do you mean 1.25 coil. so i guess that means one whole coil and a quarter of another? just to be clear :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts