Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Dakota 5 speed question

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  22dodge 
#1 ·
I am wondering what 2.2/2.5 Dakota 5 speed was used for 4x4 and what transfer case was used.

I searched, and search didn't help with this answer.

I'm just trying to decide a path for a new project.

Thanks.

#3 ·
I was thinking that was the case. So then the next question is, does the V6 use the same 5 speed as the 4? If so, whats the chance of swapping tailshafts and outputs into the 4 banger?

I realize it might be easier to find the elusive Chrysler 2.2/2.5 bellhousing for the AX15, and then use Jeep NP 231 Tcase. Shoot, I can find the AX15/231 combo all day long.

Yes, the idea revolves around a turbo motor...

#4 ·
I don't know what the numbers are but the transfer case is huge on these, I don't think you could stuff it into anything with out MAJOR hacking and such.
I've got an 88 and a 92 Dakoya had 3 others all 4 wheel drive, all the 3.9 six cylinder, I've never seen a 4 cyl with the 4 wheel drive.
I think they made a 4wd Shadow at 1 time maybe somebody knows what they used in those.

#6 ·
Just need the v6 4wd parts and the 4cyl bell and your set to go. I'm running a turbo motor in my 95 and the gearing is all wrong. 2000 RPM at 60MPH in 5th gear. I'll be changing that hopefully this winter. I believe allmotor has done the swap and said it wasn't worth doing. I'm keeping mine 2wd.

Benji

#8 ·
what gear ratio are you running in the truck? what do you want to turn at 60? because to me 2k sounds about right. my 2.5 stick minivan is around 2200 and geo runs 2600 at 60

stock dakota ratios for the 7¼ are like 3.50, 3.91. if it were me, I'd put on the 5 bolt older dakota front rotors and a Ford 8" rear end same bolt pattern and a gazillion ratios along with a lot more strength. I think the Maverick width would come out pretty darn close.

#9 ·
Not sure what the ratio is as I haven't dug into the truck much after the swap but it tends to go into boost at any slight grade or tap of the throttle. The weight and aerodynamics of the truck tends to cause that I'm sure. Plus I'm running a mitsu turbo and stock NA exhaust and cat. Probably going to dig into it this winter more. I was going to look for a rear end from a V8 truck with the stock locker and a little lower gearing.

Benji

#10 ·
generally you're going to find the V-8 rear axles to be the same or higher than 4cyl since a v-8 turns less rpm at hwy speed.

the dakota web sites have some good info on gear ratios. I still like the idea of using a ford rear end. infact I just grafted an 8" into my Sapparo circle track car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.