Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i went to the junk yard and picked up a roller cam out of a newer 2.5 lebaron, there was a mark on the driver's side end of the head but i couldn't read it as it was corroded. got it home. and i put it in the head and snugged the center cap, tried to spin the cam, and it wont spin....

So i figured i must have pulled an OSJ cam right? brought it back to the junk yard, got my 20 bucks back and went back out there, and pulled another cam out of a 2.5 spirit, gave them 20 bucks for it, come home, put cam in head with a snug center cap. Wont spin.......

So i decided to try the slider cam that spins freely in a different head, in the head i want to use, snug the cap down, WONT SPIN.

Now i didn't put any of the other caps on, because the slider cam in the old shitty head spun nice and smooth with a snug center cap and no other caps on. Any ideas???

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts
Mic it all out:

· Registered
4,660 Posts
My guess is the head is warped big time. Is the head off the block?

· Registered
4,660 Posts
the deck may be machined flat but the head still could be warped, just the mating surface is flat. Take it back to the machine shop and let them check it.

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts
what are the odds of all 3 of the cams being OSJ??????
I don't think you can even drop an OSJ cam in a standard head.

My point was simply this:

measure the journals of the cam that came out of the head you are trying to use - they should be 1.375/1.376 if they are standard. lay a straightedge across the head with the caps off to make sure your head is in fact straight.

Nothings preventing you from taking a micrometer or a dial caliper to the junkyard - even a cheap Chinese one from Harbor Freight is better than 'eyeballing' it.

Are you trying to turn the cam "dry"?
With your fingers?
With a wrench?

If your head is good to go, just get a new cam and followers.

· Registered
4,660 Posts
Picture this, the head was flat when it was squeezed onto the block, now it is removed and is now curved, the machine shop shaves the bottom to make it flat. Now the caps are still uneven but the bottom is flat. Don't have a better theory except that you installed the caps on wrong.

· Registered
4,660 Posts
could it be the cam is in backwards?
hah I have put in the wrong caps on in haste, only took me a few seconds of wunderin tho.:bash:

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well at this point i dont even know if they are the original caps for this head, i tried all 3 middle caps in the center position and it still locks the cam down.

However if i snug down the 2 outside caps, the cam will spin, but not as freely as it should. i put a straight edge on the caps every which way i could think of and i can't see a problem anywhere and i'm starting to think maybe these caps are off of a different head.

In short: i'm not going to **** with it anymore, i'm taking the head to the machine shop tomarrow and see if they can align bore the head to the stock standard size, or possibly tell me why i have a big 5-jaw aluminum vice with valves.

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts
In short: i'm not going to **** with it anymore, i'm taking the head to the machine shop tomarrow and see if they can align bore the head to the stock standard size
:UDONT:

· Banned
1,701 Posts
Well at this point i dont even know if they are the original caps for this head, i tried all 3 middle caps in the center position and it still locks the cam down.

However if i snug down the 2 outside caps, the cam will spin, but not as freely as it should. i put a straight edge on the caps every which way i could think of and i can't see a problem anywhere and i'm starting to think maybe these caps are off of a different head.

In short: i'm not going to **** with it anymore, i'm taking the head to the machine shop tomarrow and see if they can align bore the head to the stock standard size, or possibly tell me why i have a big 5-jaw aluminum vice with valves.
This is classic. you have a problem, you post your problem, then it turns out you caused your own problem. You are a fool to f-k around with a head that doesn't have the correct cam caps for that head. It's just like if you lost your rod caps or main caps then just grabed any old set you found laying around from some other motor. You CANT swap these kind of parts around because they are machined at an assembly. Just $hit can that head, go back the JY you got the "bad" cam from and get the whole fipping head the cam came from. Then all your problems will go away... Until you post for all the step by step directions how to swap heads.

· Registered
3,453 Posts
Yea... those cam caps have to be original to the head and original to the particular journal in question. I'll bet vital parts of my anatomy that that is the problem. Aren't they labeled? Its been a long time since I've had my 2.2/2.5s apart.... a miracle in itself.... so I don't remember. LOL.

Going to Mopars in the Park this year? I am not sure what car I am going to bring. The Daytona has no insurance. The Lebaron is dirty from being driven, and the Stealth is pretty clean, and I am lacking time to get a car ready for any kind of car show. Eeny meeny miney mo.

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts
Going to Mopars in the Park this year? I am not sure what car I am going to bring. The Daytona has no insurance. The Lebaron is dirty from being driven, and the Stealth is pretty clean, and I am lacking time to get a car ready for any kind of car show. Eeny meeny miney mo.
Hmmm...

Daytona - no insurance - scratch that one off the list

Stealth - DSM - Not a "real" MoPar IMHO - scratch that one too

LeBaron - apparently is insured ~and~ you enjoy driving it. Just visit a car wash on the way there:thumb:

Disclaimer: Free advice comes with no warranty, expressed or implied, for merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose:p

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First of all, I did not cause this problem. When did i say "Hey guys! i put some sweet cam caps off one head on another one and guess what, the cam wont [email protected]?!?" I was not the one that paired these caps with this head. I Was told this was a rebuilt head and i had it inspected for leaks and warpage. I know you can't swap caps from one head to another but i have no way to prove thats what happened but its pretty much the only explination left.

Dodge doesn't lable SHIT on these heads other than "We ****ed up, so it has an oversized journal cam in it" or "OMFG TURBO CHRYSLER"

My only other option is to use the head that was on the car when i got it, but for some reason someone has ground on the oil galley that holds the lifters. it appears someone, some how cracked the galley, had it welded, and then ground the weld smooth? I really dont like any of the options at this point in time, the only turbo head i've found local has a car stacked on top of it at the junk yard. For now i suppose i'll lay the straight edge across the head that came off the car and if its within spec i'll reuse it with the roller cam.

· Registered
2,986 Posts
LeBaron - apparently is insured ~and~ you enjoy driving it. Just visit a car wash on the way there
I agree. Nice rare Mopar. Wash it Paul! I still have to clean my new seats, install them. Strip and polish rims and install new tires. And get a few trouble codes to go away.:bang head
Didn't mean to hijack the thread. I hope you get the head figured out and make it to MITP.:thumb:

· Registered
3,600 Posts
First of all, I did not cause this problem. When did i say "Hey guys! i put some sweet cam caps off one head on another one and guess what, the cam wont [email protected]?!?" I was not the one that paired these caps with this head. I Was told this was a rebuilt head and i had it inspected for leaks and warpage. I know you can't swap caps from one head to another but i have no way to prove thats what happened but its pretty much the only explination left.

Dodge doesn't lable SHIT on these heads other than "We ****ed up, so it has an oversized journal cam in it" or "OMFG TURBO CHRYSLER"

My only other option is to use the head that was on the car when i got it, but for some reason someone has ground on the oil galley that holds the lifters. it appears someone, some how cracked the galley, had it welded, and then ground the weld smooth? I really dont like any of the options at this point in time, the only turbo head i've found local has a car stacked on top of it at the junk yard. For now i suppose i'll lay the straight edge across the head that came off the car and if its within spec i'll reuse it with the roller cam.

gee, get any head and swap valves, now you have a turbo head. or take your messed up head to a good quality engine builder and have them line hone the cam bores. if they don't take off much you can use a standard cam. if you think chrysler is bad for labling parts, try working on a quad 4. youd become a bicycle rider after one of them

· Registered
1,556 Posts
gee, get any head and swap valves, now you have a turbo head. or take your messed up head to a good quality engine builder and have them line hone the cam bores. if they don't take off much you can use a standard cam. if you think chrysler is bad for labling parts, try working on a quad 4. youd become a bicycle rider after one of them
yea fu ck quad 4's :bash::bash: lol turbo dodge any day. i say just swap heads also. screw it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.