Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Concerning the Spirit. Its always had mushy shifts, way mushier than the shadow, but other than that the trans seemed pretty good. The fluid doesnt seem too dirty, pretty red. So I decided to adjust the TV cable and front band.

The problem is when I adjusted it (as the haynes and autozone says, unlock the cable, turn the valve clockwise towards the fender all the way, lock the cable back down) it goes for 3rd gear WAY WAY early, like less than a second after 2nd. It also slips a ton going to 3rd as well. If I manually shift from 2nd to drive it flares really bad, RPMs jump up and then it goes into 3rd.

Am I doing something wrong here? Is the manual wrong? It worked fine on the shadow.

My luck that both the turbododges that come into my life are autos. Id love to swap them out to 5 speeds, or do RMBV's on them.

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you sure? If I set the cable so its pulled a bit (as in more throttle) it seems like the problem goes away, but that just doesnt seem like the right way to fix it.

Ill just keep experimenting.

· Banned
1,701 Posts
By increasing TV, you bump up pressure which will crutch an internal trans problem slightly. Are you 100% sure you adjusted the front band correctly? 72inch lbs then back off 1.5 turns (at least that's how I adjust the 2nd gear band.

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did hand tight with a socket and extension and then about 1.5 turns back (6 quarter-turns with a ratchet actually). But the problem was there before I did the band.

Can I adjust the line pressure with the pan down without taking the valvebody out? Should I just go for that, change the fluid and turn up the pressure?

· Banned
1,701 Posts
Sure, give it a shot. At worst, you'll realize that doesn't work, at best you fix the problem. In either case, hands on learning is the best way to become educated. WD40 took 39 failures before it was successful. How many times did Edison to get a light bulb that worked?

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The one thing Im scared about if the trans is trash is finding another one. There was another turbo spirit at the nearby junkyard last year, but its gone now. Plenty of other junkyards but I dont know of any with a turbododge.

· Banned
1,701 Posts
well, if you don't look at the pan, you'll never know. too bad your so far away, I've got 6 TD cars all with good transmissions. I can't even give them away up here. I've already scrapped 20 of them, last month, when metal was $300/ton

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I pulled the lock clip thing, and let the cable basically go where it wanted, locked it back down. And now the car actually shifts way better, and theres no flare at all for 2-3. The shifts seem to come a bit late (cant actually tell when since I dont have a functioning speedo or tach right now....

The only thing that seems bad now is I hear something whine on acceleration now. It goes up with rpms. Almost sounds like a supercharger or a power steering pump.

· Administrator
26,460 Posts
My son has the same noise in his trans and it was just recently rebuilt.He has a 41TE, I do not know what trans you have.
Usually the noise you are describing is related to aeration of fluid(low or overfilled) or a front pump problem.
My Son had 2 trans built by the same guy on the recommendation of someone and it turns out the work was of poor quality and he does not want to be bothered with correcting the problems(front pump seal leak, valve body problem, would not shift, broken bolt in trans for mount, left broken stud there and more that I cannot think of).
If you locate your noise concern let me know and I will pass it on so that can get corrected also, the guy that built the trans says he does not hear it.

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well its a turbo spirit, so A413 I guess.

You know, last time I checked the fluid I think it was on the high side of hot, and the car had only been running a minute or so.... maybe its overfilled? Ill check it out more tomorrow.

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I think the next step is to change the fluid. draining some didnt seem to fix anything. Ill also turn up the line pressure some.

Speaking of fluid changes, what fluid should I be running in it? I run ATF +4 in the shadow. The dipstick in this car says use Dexron. Ive always read on here that dexron is bad in these transmissions. How about Type F?

· Registered
3,600 Posts
type f will give fast grab on the clutches. infact the shift kit companies recommend type f on the gm trannies. i use only trans-go kits and gil younger says to use type f. man does that crisp up the trans shifts along with their kit. i wouldnt use typef on at trans with lockup but i aint sure if it'll cause a prob. i use dexron in my chrysler stuff all the time aint never caused me no probs but then i dont keep a car more than a few years. i only use it cuz its a lot cheaper and im a poor mopar owner.

· Registered
3,600 Posts
Use Chrysler fluid in a Chrysler tranny!
and def use mercon fluid in a ford. but does it really matter or are u only going buy the inaccurate hype you read on the internet? cuz guess what it really dont matter if u use dexron or mercon in these trannies cuz the only difference is an attitive for lockup shutter - if you got that prob- and if u r using nonlockup trans it can never have convert shutter. btw if you use any trans go shift kits in chrysler or gm trannies they recommend using type f in the trans for nonlockups, dont know what they say bout lockup trannies havnt used their kit for a lockup trans yet. and im sure the engineers at trans go are way smarter than us

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.