Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys i got a 87 lancer, and for some reason it keeps poping the interior dash light fuse? why? and how do you check to find out what the problem is.? i fix engines with the best of em, but electrical work stumps me some times... if any body has any idea's let em know thanks.:thumb:

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
does it have an aftermarket radio? Many have hooked that orange wire to the wrong spot on a new radio.
Tim

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea it does,and you know that makes sense..the orange wire is for the interior lights right? cause it only pops when he turns his lights on at night.... where do you attach that thing to? or can he just put a 20amp fuse in there?

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
don't put a fuse rated higher then the wire was sized for. stick with the factory rated fuse. disconnect the wire at the radio and see if it stops blowing the fuse. It probably got hooked to the wrong wire on the radio. My neighbor did it to his jap truck and it doesn't have a dash light fuse so it was popping out all his parking lights.
Tim

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
did it stop popping the fuse while disconnected?
Tim

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
the illumination wire on aftermarket decks (orange wire) is there so when you turn on your headlights the face of the radio dims so its not as bright, thereby saving your night vision. some others light up buttons on the face that arent lit up durring normal operation. most newer radios just dim the panel down and dont draw any current through the illumination wire- it just reads what its doing. if a wire harness adapter was used, disconnect it completely. if it was hard wired in, unplug the radio. make sure no wires from the car side are joined together. ive seen many idiots take the illumination wire and the dimmer wire and twist them together (orange and orange/black on wire connector) because they didnt know which one to hook up.
check the cig lighter light. ive seen those get things shoved in the terminals or the connector melted.
pull out your instrument cluster and disconnect. try dash lights again. if it still blows fuse , leave it out and move on
disconnect climate controls or travelers etc until you stop blowing fuses.
if youve disconnected all the major stuff and still blowing fuses, check your swtiches if you have power locks and windows.
if you unplug everything and still are blowing fuses then you probably have a wire chaffing on a bracket somewhere, or somebody has messed with the wiring somewhere- check for t-taps but connectors etc, and repair any B.S. you find. solder and tape at least , shrinkwrap is best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts