Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alot of dsm guys use palm pilots to hook up into their diagnostic ports and can check out knock and injector duty cycle and alot of other goodies. now i know that there is free software out there that people are using so they can datalog on their laptops so could you just take that software and put it on the palm pilot via usb port or something and make a cable that goes from the diagnostic port to the palm. i think the dsm ones only have like 2 or 3 wires on their cables, ill find out what each one is for and where it goes from my friends. you can't beat buying a color palm pilot and the cable and eyerything else that is needed off of ebay from $70-120 and being able to see what your car is doing in a convient little package.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,621 Posts
Won't work on our cars, though.

But I'm working on doing the same for our cars, but it's kind of a side project, so it's slow moving.

I had it working with a '93 SBEC just fine, but there's something different about the SMEC's. Once I figured out what, the rest should be easy as pie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts
I am looking for somthing to monitor runs and certain outputs on my van that I can monitor with my laptop while driving similar to auto x-ray. Somthing I can just buy and play. Is there one out there?? 89 turbo van.


Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
Don't forget you need the cable (got mine from EBay) with the funky DIN end on it as well, or else open the scanner up and solder something more common in its place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,621 Posts
Yeah, I soldered in a regular 9-pin D-sub connector on mine. Had one laying around, so it was loads cheaper than getting a cable. I.e., free. :)

I ground down the insert on the top of the OTC to make it flat (instead of pointed), then made a hole and attached the D-sub with the hex-screws/nuts with nuts on the inside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,211 Posts
megasquirt. 400 bucks gets you a full standalone, full data logging, on the fly tuning of all parameters, a brand new, clean wiring harness, loads of shit out of the engine bay, better gas mileage...

spend an extra 200 on an lc1 wideband and god damn... our cars would be a hell of a lot nicer than the map bled stock tuned 20 psi overcompensated hack jobs we have to do now


:thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,602 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,132 Posts
saw wave analog said:
megasquirt. 400 bucks gets you a full standalone, full data logging, on the fly tuning of all parameters, a brand new, clean wiring harness, loads of shit out of the engine bay, better gas mileage...

spend an extra 200 on an lc1 wideband and god damn... our cars would be a hell of a lot nicer than the map bled stock tuned 20 psi overcompensated hack jobs we have to do now


:thumb:
After i start my new job and start making money, i'll buy it just to let you know how it turns out. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
876 Posts
Hmmkay, 1st off, Palms have a different CPU and OS than laptops, so you're not going to be copying any PC software over and getting it working. However, I have seen something similar specifically for the Palm. Some Palms have USB, the older ones have serial. I think you need more of an adapter with the USB ones, but the older serial ones you can hack something up. I beleive that Pocket PC devices have some stuff available, I've got an old one of those that I'm possibly going to apply to such a cause.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,602 Posts
RoadWarrior222 said:
I have seen something similar specifically for the Palm. Some Palms have USB, the older ones have serial. I think you need more of an adapter with the USB ones, but the older serial ones you can hack something up. I beleive that Pocket PC devices have some stuff available, I've got an old one of those that I'm possibly going to apply to such a cause.
The only Palms that won't work are the ones that have a mini-USB connector (they're USB only). All of the other ones have a serial port available that can talk to our ECU's. Specifically, the cheaper Zires and the Tungsten E don't have a serial port. All of the others do, even the new ones.

C'mon - no comments on my MiniDash ap?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
876 Posts
oooOOOooo yeah, didn't spot that last time, new toy, gotta dig that old Palm out, I HOPE it's got Palm OS 3.5 or higher on...

Read through some of those threads, got confused, works for all SMECs and SBECs now? and does it like 3.0s yet?

Be cool if you can crunch the data to get HP from a 2nd or 3rd gear pull. Also be good if you can get mpg out of it somehow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,602 Posts
RoadWarrior222 said:
oooOOOooo yeah, didn't spot that last time, new toy, gotta dig that old Palm out, I HOPE it's got Palm OS 3.5 or higher on...

Read through some of those threads, got confused, works for all SMECs and SBECs now? and does it like 3.0s yet?

Be cool if you can crunch the data to get HP from a 2nd or 3rd gear pull. Also be good if you can get mpg out of it somehow.
Beta 1 was for cals with a hi-speed logging mod only.

Now, it SHOULD work for all LM's, SMEC's and SBEC's. But, B3 doesn't work right with the LM's and the T2 SMEC's (anything that uses the DRB-I protocol; DRB-II works fine - T1/V6 SMEC's and all SBEC's). But, I do have it working on the T2 SMEC for Beta 4, LM just needs to be confirmed (hopefully).

It should work on the '89 3.0's. I don't have enough data yet to support the others (need a dis-assembly to ID the memory locations).

HP (along with torque, wheel spin, clutch/converter slip, 1/4mi ET and MPH, 0-60, 30-60 times) is coming in Beta 5. Still working on it. MPG is possible, but not something I had planned. I really intended this to be a racing type application. I mean, who really cares about their MPG in the 1/4-mile? If there's a huge demand, though, I can add it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,472 Posts
I hadn't realized you had made it that far with your app yet, I am definantly gonna hafta do some research into exactly what palm and data cable i would need :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,602 Posts
xrattiracer said:
I hadn't realized you had made it that far with your app yet, I am definantly gonna hafta do some research into exactly what palm and data cable i would need :)

Oh yeah, it's been running since about October. At first, only with the serial interrupt code. Now, it works with all '85-91 code, plus the serial mod code.

The past 2 months, I've been trying to get the built-in AutoID functions to work, but the DRB-I code is a royal PITA. Not very friendly at all. The DRB-II code, you send it a command, and it echos back the command pretty much immediately (just to let you know the ECU heard you), and then it executes the command and sends you a completion byte (or data byte, depending).

The DRB-I code - well, it doesn't always hear you the first time. So, you have to keep sending the command until it does something. And, most of the commands do not echo back, so you have to look for a random byte returned.

It's also really sensitive to timing. For my test code, I put a field on a form just to show the Tx'd and Rx'd bytes. I got the routine to read the ID code from a couple of T2 binaries. Then, I copied the code to MiniDash (and took out the field write) and it stopped working. I had to add in a coupe of pauses, that really don't make sense.

Anyway, B4 is pretty polished now, just need to get AutoID working relaibly.

EDIT: I don't know if you go to TM much, but I posted a Palm Device compatibility chart over there. Follow the link above, it's on the last page, I think.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top