Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Im new to this forum looks like alot of really great people here. I am hoping somebody can help me out...so here it goes:
I want to swap my 2.5 non turbo for a 3.3 v6
It is for my son's first car what I have for parts are as follows:
A complete running 1990 Caravan 3.3 auto motor and trans are good
The Daytona is also a 1990 2.5 auto running motor and trans good.
What I would like to know is:
1. Is this possible
2. Any wiring modification and what needs to be done
3. Will the Caravans fuel pump fit the Daytona Tank
4. Will Caravan Motor and trans mounts bolt in.
5. Will the transaxles from the Caravan work with the Daytona
6. Is the 2.5 Radiator big enough for the 3.3

Thanks in advance for your help.

The Daytonas Last ride.

The Donar

Donar Motor

The Recipient

New Pics on the 3rd Page 15th post down. http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f15/353552-daytona-2-5-3-3-swap-3.html

·
Administrator
10,119 Posts
personally I would get the 3.8 setup from about a 1990 Imperial. Not all of the mini stuff works. The 1990 mounts should but the axles won't.

I have swapped car engines and trans into vans before. So I would think the whole 3.3 and trans should bolt right in. Then use the Daytona axles. Then use the 50 pin break down to rewire the 50 pin into the dash. Mostly it should work though. Get a turbo pump for the Daytona, there not that expensive.

The diff in the 4 speed auto should be the same axles. People are adding the OBX and spacer to that trans like we add to a 413. The Van axles are too long for sure.

If you can find the 50 pin call out and get that changed right it should be a week end swap. Law the harness on the engine and trans and drop them together on the ground. Then lift the 3.3 into the Daytona and hook up the side mounts, then the front. Then hook up the wire harness starting at the head lights and work to the fire wall. A box of red but connectors and hook up the 50 pin. The TBI pump I am told is the same as a turbo, could be wrong on this though. Shouldn't be that tough though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot for the info... My son is completely thrilled that this is possible his first car...
just three more questions:
1. Can I use the trans from the 2.5 for now it's in better shape.
2. Where can I find a 50 pin or do I just use the two harnesses (Van and Daytona) to
make this work
3. Where is the best place to get wiring diagrams.

·
Administrator
10,119 Posts
Thanks alot for the info... My son is completely thrilled that this is possible his first car...
just three more questions:
1. Can I use the trans from the 2.5 for now it's in better shape.
2. Where can I find a 50 pin or do I just use the two harnesses (Van and Daytona) to
make this work
3. Where is the best place to get wiring diagrams.
you can't use a 2.5 trans on a 3.3

just unbolt each 50 pin from the fire walls, they come on the end of the harness.

ask NAJ here if he has the pin call outs, I would bet he does and can help you out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow that was quick Thanks again we are planning to start tomorrow morning pulling the van motor and wiring out and then the Daytona...we are going to take pictures and video of every step...Do you know if the 2.5 daytona trans will work with the 3.3?
Chris and Christopher

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks...starting tomorrow and will be posting progress with pics hopefully. Just would like to thank "The Pope" and "NAJ" for their extremely helpful information on this project

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So if I cut and splice appropriate wires from Caravan wires to the Daytona wires (power to power, headlight to headlight, etc to etc all corresponding wires. everything should function correctly....I hope...I'm still looking for the caravan wiring and actually the van is a 1991 if that changes things I hope not. I have both vehicles side by side in my garage and they both seem to have the same relays, amount of wires going to the main plug on firewall...haven't checked to see if the wire colours are the same (wishful thinking but manufacturers do tend to do that) ill find out tomorrow going to dealer to get wiring diagrams/chart for both hopefully. Will be posting progress as we go along...pulling motors and trans' tomorrow...funny thing we took the Daytona for it's last 4 banger ride today and blew the head gasket....could this be a sign...maybe meant to be.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hitting the hay now long couple days ahead of me thank god my garage is heated (my heat bill is going to yikes -25 celcius up here in Calgary brrrrrrr) i'll get some pics up tomorrow night.Later

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
i love this thread!!! normally i just build the 3.0 V6 datyona. i find the V6 to be VERY fun to drive!!! (i have 3!!) but any one installing the 3.3 or 3.8 I'm all for it!!! PICS of this build and progress is a must!! the 3.0 section is the V6 area! would love to see your build thread over there!!!

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
So if I cut and splice appropriate wires from Caravan wires to the Daytona wires (power to power, headlight to headlight, etc to etc all corresponding wires. everything should function correctly....I hope...I'm still looking for the caravan wiring and actually the van is a 1991 if that changes things I hope not. I have both vehicles side by side in my garage and they both seem to have the same relays, amount of wires going to the main plug on firewall...haven't checked to see if the wire colours are the same (wishful thinking but manufacturers do tend to do that) ill find out tomorrow going to dealer to get wiring diagrams/chart for both hopefully. Will be posting progress as we go along...pulling motors and trans' tomorrow...funny thing we took the Daytona for it's last 4 banger ride today and blew the head gasket....could this be a sign...maybe meant to be.
Having done similar type swaps before, I would recommend separating the engine and body wiring some. Only cut and splice the engine specific wires on the Daytona. I usually do this by back tracing the engine specific connectors and cutting them out. I would stagger the cuts so that the splices will happen over a wider area to avoid excessive bulging of the wiring harness.

Going by colors will get you 90-95% of the way there. The wiring diagrams are helpful for the remainder.

How are you going to do the splicing? Soldering and heat shrink tubing is "best". Do NOT get Harbor Freight heat shrink tubing the stuff gets BRITTLE once it is shrunk. Lowe's and SummitRacing.com sell better stuff.

Another option would be crimp on connectors with heat shrink plastic over them. (ie. "Marine" grade crimp-on butt connectors.) The two issues with this are price and bulky. But they are quick and seal against water well. Around here, Lowe's and Menard's sell them.

I know the fate saying 'it is time' feeling. My '87 Shadow (2.5 turbo) had a catastrophic failure. So I took the opportunity to drop a 3.0L V6 in and have been smiling ever since!

If you want some porting done on the 3.3L heads, let me know.

Ed Kelly - Kelly-Mulhern Performance

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Just noted that you have a '90 Daytona. That was the first year a 3.0 V6 was put in those cars. They used a pancake radiator fan motor because of space. I believe later they moved the radiator closer the front of the vehicle. So you will either need to find a '90 v6 radiator fan or make a pusher fan setup (put the fan in front of the radiator.)

To make fan a pusher, just reverse the polarity of the connector. I used a minivan fan because it was narrower and fit without cutting any supports or making any shrouding.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yet another question...working on the van today to remove motor and I would like to know what this is (see photos) I can't seem to get any info from local part stores today.
Hopefully not neede for running but if so I guess I'm using the entire van harness...lots and lots of wires. This was mounted on firewall.

Thanks in advance Chris

·
Administrator
10,150 Posts
The 3.3 is specific to itself, and I was old once that the only trans that will bolt up to it is its own 3.3 5 speed, or its auto counterpart.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts