Turbo Dodge Forums banner

41 - 60 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
To The Pope and SOHCSports
Took your advice put the motor and trans from bottom worked perfect...have to modify subframe rail a bit (dent it in) to clear power steering pump...got the wiring all sorted out, got rid of EGR stuff as you suggested...now we just have to solder up 20 wires cross our fingers and she should go. Most of the wiring colours and gauge match up there are data wires what ever they are for but we are hooking them up. What we did was remove all the wires that pertained to the motor from the Daytona harness and then removed all the Body wires from the Caravan harness and what we ended up with was the same wires left to graph into the Daytona harness...and they were all exactly the same colour and gauge and did the same things...too kewl...and once again Thanks for your advice it has been extremely helpful...pics coming and maybe even a YouTube vid.
Yup, Chrysler very good about keeping the colors the same on the wiring harness... Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Ed Kelly - Kelly-Mulhern Performance

·
Administrator
10,119 Posts
I used the both mounts from the van they bolted right in
being they didn't make 89 and older 3.3s the cars to use need to be 90 and later so the 90 later mounts are all the same. Putting a 3.3 in an older car would be a fab fest :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Yes lets definitely see some pics. Making pretty nice progress, even beating me hehe. :thumb: What did you use for your front and passenger side motor mounts?
Here are some pics so far.

Up She goes

Through the Bottom :fingersx:

Lifting

A Jiggle here a Jiggle There :dancing:

Shes In :thumb:

Side Mount

Front Mount

Yes

:bang head Now The Wiring

S

·
0 Posts
Awesome, you'll have this thing flying down the road in no time! Such a sweet engine swap!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I used the both mounts from the van they bolted right in
Nice, having the newer 90's cars makes things a lot easier. :thumb:

being they didn't make 89 and older 3.3s the cars to use need to be 90 and later so the 90 later mounts are all the same. Putting a 3.3 in an older car would be a fab fest
It's not that bad, an early 3.0 passenger mount and the front mount from a newer K-based car should alleviate those problems. The wiring harness from a 1990 Caravan still uses the old school equipment so using that harness in my 88 Daytona seems to be very effective.

Ever think about doing a manual trans 3.3/3.8? The 2.7 manual stratus trans would bolt right on all you'd need is the 2.7 flywheel for the tone ring on the crank sensor.
Custom axles would be the issue as the outer splines used in the NVT-850 (2.7 5 speed trans) are from some oddball diesel application in Europe that Chrysler modified to work on the 2.7L V6. You would also have to probably use a Neon shifter as the cables are probably different and modify your clutch pedal to be a hydraulic one. I might consider doing it way down the road. Availability of NVT-850s is also an issue as Stratus 2.7L R/Ts and Sebring GTC 5 speed convertibles are fairly rare.

Here are some pics so far.
Awesome, you are really burning right through this swap. I better hurry up and get to the boneyard so I can catch up hehe. Looks like it came that way from the factory. Hope to see more people catch onto this swap. The 3.3L is quite the stone axe in reliability.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Its in!!!!!!! We have the youtube video uploading as we speak (or type) :thumb::dancing:
She is running and the tranny shifts perfectly
Im tired my hands are sore and cold and im hungry. nniiiinnnne coronas. Be sure to check out The Stone Cartels music! If you like it you can find more at youtube.com/thestonecartel
or
myspace.com/thestonecartel
This is a good friend of mine his CD will be released at the end of april or june

·
Administrator
16,492 Posts
Its in!!!!!!! We have the youtube video uploading as we speak (or type) :thumb::dancing:
She is running and the tranny shifts perfectly
Im tired my hands are sore and cold and im hungry. nniiiinnnne coronas. Be sure to check out The Stone Cartels music! If you like it you can find more at youtube.com/thestonecartel
or
myspace.com/thestonecartel
This is a good friend of mine his CD will be released at the end of april or beginning of june. Video is Here
YouTube - ‪2.5 to 3.3 Daytona swap‬‏
sorry your gonna have to put"?" ^ here between the h and v
if you take from the slash over to the end of the link and the put the [YT ][/YT] things on it'll show this,

·
Administrator
10,119 Posts
killer, should do a right up on which wires you did to match them up. Pinout picture showing which ones? Again that is a great swap, I bet almost easy with the mounts fitting.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
killer, should do a right up on which wires you did to match them up. Pinout picture showing which ones? Again that is a great swap, I bet almost easy with the mounts fitting.
Working on the wire colour and pin out and will post it when done....this was a great project my son learned alot about what it takes....lots and lots of patience and being extremely methodical in marking EVERTHING...and we wouldn't have had such success without people like you...
Thanks again

·
Registered
543 Posts
Working on the wire colour and pin out and will post it when done....this was a great project my son learned alot about what it takes....lots and lots of patience and being extremely methodical in marking EVERTHING...and we wouldn't have had such success without people like you...
Thanks again
Really appreciate it, feels good to not only help someone complete this swap/tell them it was very possible but help someone finish it up before I did. *tear* :thumb: I will post some videos/pictures of mine when it is completed as well. I am going to run the Intrepid 3.3L plenum on my Daytona and let you know how it feels in comparison to the other plenums. I also plan to swap a late 2000 3.8 into my Dynasty with some n/a mods in the future and hope to see others do that as well. Gaining huge torque and decent hp without a turbo is excellent for reliability. I bet with some head work and some mild mods getting numbers close to 250- 270hp n/a is not too difficult. How does the power feel compared to the 2.5? I bet it's a night and day difference. I know if the 3.3 throws my heavy Dynasty around it does wonders for your Daytona. Lets see some acceleration videos hehe.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Really appreciate it, feels good to not only help someone complete this swap/tell them it was very possible but help someone finish it up before I did. *tear* :thumb: I will post some videos/pictures of mine when it is completed as well. I am going to run the Intrepid 3.3L plenum on my Daytona and let you know how it feels in comparison to the other plenums. I also plan to swap a late 2000 3.8 into my Dynasty with some n/a mods in the future and hope to see others do that as well. Gaining huge torque and decent hp without a turbo is excellent for reliability. I bet with some head work and some mild mods getting numbers close to 250- 270hp n/a is not too difficult. How does the power feel compared to the 2.5? I bet it's a night and day difference. I know if the 3.3 throws my heavy Dynasty around it does wonders for your Daytona. Lets see some acceleration videos hehe.
Here is the wiring I used it is all organized and hopefully easy to follow...Enjoy...My 1974 Dart Is next on my agenda....once it warms up that is, it's -30 celcious up here in the Great White North LOL

·
Administrator
10,119 Posts
Thanks again
glad to help. Many many Dodge people are big fans of the 3.3 / 3.8. But no one has gotten around to getting one done. By the book this was not supposed to be that tough mechanically. The wiring was ment to be a little scary though. Megasquirt control or the engine and the 604 trans would make a good combo with a turbo on one as well. Sadly I have too many projects. But I think a 3.8 Shadow with a paddle shifter would make a mean cone killer.

I will twist a few arms, I think this should be a sticky. Very nice :thumb:

41 - 60 of 117 Posts