Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in an 89 daytona to properly shut off your car and have your aftermarket cd player turn off and remember your settings, what wires are needed to be connected.......so doesnt anybody know what color the wires are and what they are for the cd player and the wires to keep settings..... another question is whats that ground for coming up from the shifter for and where does it go

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Go to Wal-Mart and get a radio install kit. Then the wiring will take care of itself. Dont cut the car wiring up and tape the new unit in. The adapter makes it plug and play and keeps your original wiring if you or next owner wants to get rid of the crappy aftermkt unit and put in a good stock CD/cassette. The ground strap attaches to the radio on the ground lug.

·
Administrator
10,179 Posts
Yea, the ground strap that comes from the shifter area to behind the dash is for the radio, make sure you reinstall that or the radio wont turn on.

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
the red wire is for the constant 12v and the yellow is the switched 12v, you need to make sure the red wire is connected as it will preserve memory each time the key is turned off

black is ground, just cut a small section (do not cut of the eyelet, just cut a L shape) of the ground strap so you can connect a butt connector

orange w/white stripe is the illumination wire and it is not needed with a aftermarket stereo (do not cut this in the factory pigtail,only in the aftermarket harness)

let me know any other questions you may have and yes please get a Harness adaptor and dont cut the factory pigtails

·
Registered
355 Posts
do NOT cut the factory plugs off!
buy a $9 wire harness adapter from wally world.

i've been an installer since 1997, and i see idiot cut the plugs off then hack up the wiring harness only to bring me the car cause they cant figure out the wiring.

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
^ so was i, but i was a installer form 00-03 LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts