Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, im hoping somebody has run across this before. i have a 91 daytona na that i use for circle track racing. my problem is when i go to start the car, it will start up and run for about 5 seconds and cut off like its only running off of the fuel that gets pumped into the throttle body when you first turn the key on. so ive messed with it for quite a while and figured out it is not getting fuel after the initial prime. i am getting fire all the way to the injector, i can see the injector is working until it runs out of fuel in the tb, ive tried a different injector, fuel pressure regulator, and even the little wiring harness for the injector in the tb. ive also notices that once the car starts, the fuel pump does come on as well. this has completely confused me and i have no other ideas to try and i have a race coming up next weekend. has anyone ever come across this problem before? thanks

·
Administrator
25,737 Posts
When the car shuts off will it restart right away?
Power to the fuel pump, injector, + coil and HO2S is on the DG/BK wire from the ASD relay. If the engine losses the crank signal from the HEP the ASD will shut down.
So, what are you losing when the car shuts down?
Are any fault codes set?
Check the ASD circuit by grounding the DB/YL wire on the underhood diagnostic connector with the key on/engine off, power should be present at the injector and + coil and the fuel pump will run.If so the ASD is ok, unhook your ground and while cranking the engine see if power is present at the + coil, if so the HEP is probably ok.
Connect a fuel pressure gauge and check fuel pressure, is it in specs, does it hold pressure,does pressure drop off when the vehicle shuts off?
If fuel pressure is lost when the vehicle shuts off be sure you have proper power and ground at the pump, repair wiring as necassary, if ok replace the pump.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry i forgot to mention that im losing fuel when the car shuts off. the fuel pump stays on after the car shuts off but i havent checked pressure to see if its up to spec or not. im not real sure if the check engine light is on or not because the dash and gauge cluster isnt there anymore. i will plug my computer into it and see if any codes are present. thanks for the advice i never thought about the asd relay. well see what happens:thumb:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Try a new Hall effect, could be the distributor also. We have talked at the track before. I help Craig with the 31 car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok yeah i remeber you marshall. the problem was both the regulators i tried were bad. runs like a top now. well as good as it can:eek: thanks again guys. ill see you out at the track marshall.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The in tank fuel filter might need a check. If this car sat for some time there might be a problem there. Just an alternative view. Good luck. Briscokg.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts