Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I've owned 3 Daytonas so far and all 3 shared the same problem. The outside door handles were really hard to use. You'd have to pull the handle up as far as it'd go and then put some muscle into it to get the door to pop open. It actually felt like the door was locked. I stumbled on a solution for this and I'm posting in the hope that it'll help somebody else.

Ok, here goes. The outside door handle when lifted, pushes a rod that's connected to the latch assembly. So, in theory, if the rod were longer, the door latch would be actuated sooner in the door handle's travel. What I did was remove the door handle and the rod. The rod has a couple of pretty good bends in it, so I laid it across a block and used a hammer to straighten the bends out. This effectively makes the rod longer. Just be careful not to take too much of the bends out so the rod doesn't bind up. I did this on the '88 Pacifica I just got and after reinstalling everything, the handle works great! The door pops open about halfway through the travel of the handle now with zero effort where before, a strong man would have to strain to get it open.
Hopefully this little trick will be useful to somebody.
Tony

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That's neat! I looked all over mine for sort of adjustment and never found one. :confused:
Tony

·
Registered
13,525 Posts
Same on my daytona shelby passenger door handle. There is a spring in the handle itself, when you pull it on, the spring moves back.. for whatever reason it moves back a bit too far and it doesn't lock the door. So I use a paper clip to warp around that metal the spring is on so the spring doesn't move as far back. That fix my door handle problem. :)

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
What about door alginment itself. I know on my '90 the driver's door was a pain and was obviously sagging(you could lift the end of the door a good 2". I replaced the pins and bushings and now the thing is like brand new...I never touched the handle, rods, or adjustment screw...all of which I knew about...

G

·
nice

tonyz2897 said:
Hi everybody, I've owned 3 Daytonas so far and all 3 shared the same problem. The outside door handles were really hard to use. You'd have to pull the handle up as far as it'd go and then put some muscle into it to get the door to pop open. It actually felt like the door was locked. I stumbled on a solution for this and I'm posting in the hope that it'll help somebody else.

Ok, here goes. The outside door handle when lifted, pushes a rod that's connected to the latch assembly. So, in theory, if the rod were longer, the door latch would be actuated sooner in the door handle's travel. What I did was remove the door handle and the rod. The rod has a couple of pretty good bends in it, so I laid it across a block and used a hammer to straighten the bends out. This effectively makes the rod longer. Just be careful not to take too much of the bends out so the rod doesn't bind up. I did this on the '88 Pacifica I just got and after reinstalling everything, the handle works great! The door pops open about halfway through the travel of the handle now with zero effort where before, a strong man would have to strain to get it open.
Hopefully this little trick will be useful to somebody.
Tony

I will have to try this on my 4 day weekend :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well shoot. Today is my 4 day weekend, guess I'd better go fix both my Daytonas...
Door pins first as I already have some and that sounds easier...

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
There's a small adjustment hole in the door.

A 5/32" allen wrench is used to make the adjustment.

Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep have had this hole for decades.

I haven't checked any new cars but they had them up to 2010.

Thanks
Randy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts