Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to make my car in 3D, so I can get a better visual of what it should look like when it's done, and what changes I want to make.
I finaly got some time today to start it.

If you have any questions ask away...I hope it will be usefull to other Daytona owners in the future.

I am making it in 3D Studio Max 9 just using pictures of my car as referance. It's in a rough state right now and will be detailed out and adjusted to be more accurate.

Check here for pictures of my real car:
stratous.250free.com - Browsing Directory: /My_Car/

More images of my 3D Models here:
stratous.250free.com - Browsing Directory: /Models/

I did the same thing for my Dakota a while back:

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Bryan,
That looks great. What is this program and how do you do that? Do you scan or put in pictures of your car as a guide then trace and start minipulating?
I kind of used that method trying to make a set of white gauge inserts for an L-Body cluster, with AutoCAD.
Whatever you do, it looks cool. And on the Dakota picture. Whats real and whats not? You'll have to excuse me. I'm prehistoric.

·
Registered
853 Posts
That looks awsome, I would love to have a 91 iroc/es model, I could never get my hands on it, nor good enough to make my own. I was also using Lightwave though. Looks awsome so far

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went to school at I.T.T. for a year for Computer Animation. Unfortuneatly it took me the year to realise I could never sit at a computer all day for a job...I need to be in a shop.

I'm modeling using 3D Studio Max 9 with some pictures I took of my car as referance.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how difficult would it be for someone with no experience to do a CSX in 3D?

It's not really that difficult. The hardest part is comprehending the poly placement of 3D, and to understand how to make a corner with all three dimensions.

After that you just have to learn all the features of 3D Studio. Just search for some tutorials, and look 'em over.
You'll be responsible for getting your own copy of 3D Studio.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
My wife knows how you did it. She explained it to me. I'm very impressed. How expensive is a program like that? I'm guessing big bucks.
How much time went into the Dakota picture? Approx. How about the Daytona so far?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Legaly 3D Studio is REALLY expensive.

I have about 3 hours into the Daytona so far.

With the Dakota, the Audi, the trailer and the scene probobly...6 months overall, maybe 10 hours a week.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
They look great, But..............They're backwards.:bash:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
OOOOOOOOOO!! post some pics of different angles in white though.. that way when my dad paints his car he'll already have his paint scheme all worked out. please? thanks!!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
how it is now is fine, i just need more angles and a light shade, so i can use colored pencils to scetch out some paint schemes.. great work btw!!
or maybe can you make that file autocad 2004 freindly or solidworks 98?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Right now thats the only shot I have, because I havn't done anything to the front yet...You can see the fender isn't even complete.

Unfortunatly the file can't be converted to those programs because of the way Max does 3D. It can by imported into Zanoza Modeler, or Lightwave, or Rhino. I don't know about any others.

But don't worry...More progress, and larger colored renders to come.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I made some tweaks and the spoiler.
And a wireframe to check out. The wireframe is what I model. I won't get into how it's done, but I place all the squares (polies), then apply a computer modifier. The computer then comes in and rounds off all the polies. I can control how smooth the model is in the end, but the smoother it is the harder the computer has to work (the slower it is). Hopefully tomorrow I can get some color on it so you can get an idea of a final result.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The front bumper kind of looks wierd to me. I'll make some adjustments...I think the corner is too sharp...

I don't know...I wish had blueprints.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts