Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '91 Daytona needs a new steering rack because it makes a horrible clunking noise when I turn the wheel. I have replaced the ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, and the control arm bushings within the last year, but the noise still persists and keeps getting worse. Any tips on how to swap the rack? I have heard that the k-frame needs to be dropped to take the rack out, but also that it isn't needed, only easier. Also, if the k-frame needs to come out, does the engine/trans need extra support? I will be replacing the motor mounts first, so they will be much more able to take the load. And in case I mess up the clock spring somehow, where can I get a new one? Can't find any replacements anywhere.
Thanks,
Andrew

·
Administrator
3,969 Posts
Are you sure it isn't the strut mount/bearing(s)? When these are all torn to hell they will give off some terrible noise when you turn the wheel. Easy check, have someone turn the wheels back and forth with the car in neutral/park and place you hand on top of the strut towers, you'll notice it if it's the struts.

If removing the steering rack, all you need to do is:

You can actually remove the steering rack without dropping the k-frame, but it's tricky to fish it out. Assuming you are going to drop the k-frame:

-Disconnect battery power, due to airbags
-Disconnect power steering pump, I like to remove the pump from the engine and just lay it on the rack, so I don't have to mess with the lines with the tight workspace
-Remove tie rods from knuckles
-Separate ball joints from knuckles
-Go inside the car, and drive out one of the roll pins at the universal joint near the floor, you may have to remove some plastic covering. U-joint should separate from the steering gear shaft. Nothing else done with the steering column, especially at the steering wheel
-Drop K-frame, 4x 18mm bolts. Be careful, don't use impact. If you break the front nut-tabs in the frame rails things get complicated. Use penetrating fluid.
-Rack is attached to k-frame with 4x 10mm or 11mm bolts

·
Administrator
24,135 Posts
You also need to check the brakes.
Over the years I have seen and heard noises from the brakes that sound like the car is falling apart and all it turns out to be a loose pad or faulty mounting hardware.
Verify that the anti-rattle clips/mounting hardware are all present and intact.
Be sure the caliper slides are well lubricated and the caliper moves back and forth freely.
Hate to see you replace a rack that is not needed.

If you need any more info, have any questions please feel free to ask.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I highly doubt it would be the brakes, but I will definitely inspect them. Everything from the pads and rotors to the master cylinder and calipers was replaced about 4 years ago, and hasn't seen too much wear. Also, they make no noises of that type under any kind of braking, light or heavy. As for the suspension, I'm replacing all the springs, shocks, and struts anyways. I will definitely check the shock towers before I tear the whole front end apart.

Also, any advice on replacing motor mounts and the power steering pump? I want to have a good idea of what to do so I don't waste 3 days because I accidentally broke something important.

·
Administrator
24,135 Posts
4 years is old for brakes and depending where you live I have seen Anti-Rattle clips rust and fall of the pad in a year or two.
Just do not want you to bypass something simple because you "assume" that cannot be it.

If you are replacing engine mounts I would recommend 100% that you go with Poly or Poly Filled, aftermarket mounts are JUNK and will not last, Poly mounts will last the life of the car.

POLY MOUNTS

As far as a Power Steering Pump...
They are all remanufactured so my recommendation would be to buy locally so if there is an issue there is no shipping and waiting, be sure you get a lifetime warranty and I would also recommend replacing the hoses while you are there.
I put on a remanufactured pump and hoses from Autozone in 2014 when I was a commercial sales manager and have had absolutely no issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a friend who put poly motor mounts in his '06 Acura RSX, and while they will last forever, they create an absolutely ridiculous amount of noise and vibration. Great for track-days and racing, but not for keeping the car feeling smooth or daily driving. I'm going with standard rubber mounts, unless the poly ones you suggest keep the engine from vibrating the entire car. If they are just as smooth as normal engine mounts, I'll look into it.

But I am just looking for tips on the process of replacing the motor mounts and the power steering pump. I already have all the parts I need.

·
Administrator
24,135 Posts
I have poly mounts in my car and she is all stock and a daily driver.
There may have been a slight increase in harshness at idle but not enough that I even notice anymore.

·
Administrator
24,135 Posts
I can post the pages from the FSM for you on proper pump and mount replacement on Monday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts