Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for all the tips with the TI codes I was having last week...well, it has taken on a whole new dimension: Was getting constant "CHANGE THE HEP" 54 codes. Pulled one off my parts car. Fine. Car drove for 2 days w/o problems. Yesterday, the bucking, stalling, acting crazy symptoms came back, and, check engine light as well.

Was told to unhook the battery for 10 mins, and let the car reset/reboot. Did that. And guess what? Now the car wont start! (immediately). Only by cycling the ignition key fwd/back,fwd/back 3 times does it then kick in, and start the car! This all, after having reset the car. Battery is fine (I guess) Generator is charging, all wires and fuses are intact.

New codes: 35 and 24! :mad:

Whats up??

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Hmm...so you got the fan relay switch isnt working, and a TPS...try changing the TPS?

It sounds like a bad fuel pump. If you have to switch it to RUN 3 times, you are sending 3 times the amount of fuel that you normally do to start the car...you didnt think fuel just sat there waiting for you to inject it did yeh silly? :D

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran outside and tried it again...same thing. Whats freaking me out is, why is all of this happening AFTER I undid the battery? Also, when turning the key forward, I hear the "whirr" of the fuel system energizing...so I assume its getting what it needs to start. Also, when cycling the key forward, its completely (besides the short whirr/humm of the fuel pump) DEAD! Like a dead battery...all the lights come on, bong bong bong, all that...and, after the third try (on average) it starts...although now very lumpy uneven....rev it a few times, it smoothes out....
running out of answers here!! IF it needs a TPS...I bought one as a spare a while back, are they all the same? (2.2 vs 2.5?) Turbo/non turbo?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
All TPS's are the same on the 2.2/2.5's. I think they are different from the 3.0 though.

Are you sure your battery is fine? How many volts is it pulling? If you dont know, just take it up to AutoZone real quick and they will check it for free.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Autozones are a tad scarce over here in the land of "Weisswurst,Sauerkraut, and no speed limits"! But...I will get the battery looked at...

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
When you go from "run" to "start", everything gets shut off except the ignition feed to the engine electronics and the starter, of course. Thus when you hit "start", everything will go dead. I assume the engine is cranking? If it was a fuel issue bleedoff issue, it should still start on the first try after a few seconds of cranking. I would check that you are getting spark in the cases where you are cranking but not starting.

·
Registered
39 Posts
minimopar said:
When you go from "run" to "start", everything gets shut off except the ignition feed to the engine electronics and the starter, of course. Thus when you hit "start", everything will go dead. I assume the engine is cranking? If it was a fuel issue bleedoff issue, it should still start on the first try after a few seconds of cranking. I would check that you are getting spark in the cases where you are cranking but not starting.
The key words are "I assume the engine is cranking?"
If not it's probably the starter. At least the wife's Dodge pickup did the same thing and it turned out to be the starter...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts