Turbo Dodge Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The rear hubs and brakes are not going together the way I had originally planned. At first, I wasn't sure where to locate the center of the hubs, but decided to just center them where the original spindles went.

I made a flange that would allow me to drill 4 holes to mount the hubs. These are the original spindle holes.

I had designed the outer mount for a vertical orientation, but the rear axle mount takes up too much space horizontally, so there wouldn't be room for the heads to spin.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Rotating the hub locates the bolt holes far enough away from the axle for the bolt heads to clear.

I widened the flange to make more room for the holes.

I used the old spindle to center the hub. Fortunately, these are thru holes, not threaded, so they don't have to be as precise.

This aluminum block and steel plates locate the tire in the same location as the original.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I don't have time to post pics, but wanted to give an update. I was able to mock everything up using steel, but have now replaced almost all of it with aluminum. As usual, life has gotten in the way, and I'm way behind schedule. I'll try to post pics soon.

The good news is that I like the final design, even though it does not make any sense to spend this much money for such a small performance gain.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
OK, I guess it's time for a project update. I now have the design completed, and the initial assembly done. Now, the parts will be going out to be powdercoated.

The previous pics were from the driver's side. These are from the passenger side, and are more refined as the design has progressed. One of my requirements was that if the project failed, I would be able to just cut it off and go back to the original setup. Fortunately, that's not going to happen.

This pic shows the axle with two pieces welded on, and the holes drilled. To ensure that the holes were in the correct places, I had them cut along with the parts. I just needed to open them up a bit.

This pic shows the aluminum main spacer screwed onto the steel mounting plate. Eventually, I will need to put shims behind it, for wheel alignment, so the screws are needed to keep it from moving around.

Next are 3 plates that mount the e-brake shoes and the hub spacer. There are two more screws, at 3 and 9 o'clock, that hold it in place.

This is the rear view of those 3 plates, with the shoes and e-brake actuator in place.

This is the front side of the assembly. I admit that I got lucky trying to get parts to fit and work together. They are similar to a Crown Vic's setup, but I didn't want to remove the axles, from a junkyard car, to get the parts I needed. Besides, the Crown Vic's actuator is oriented 90° to the Daytona's, and I wanted to use the stock e-brake cables.

Here is the entire assembly. It is very easy to disassemble everything, as it is modular. You might notice that I hacked up the brake shoes to allow clearance for the hub and its spacer.

This view show the e-brake cable. I'll provide better pics of the actuator and cable setup after I get the parts powdercoated. The two allen head bolts are actually plugging the holes for the old spindle. I plan to use them to secure a plate to seal the upper opening.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This pic shows the hub mounted with the shoes, but without the axle stub mounted inside.

This shows the actuator assembly. I had to figure out a way to expand the shoes and keep them from wobbling around. I came up with this setup.

To space the rotor, there is a 1/4" thick shim between the hub and rotor hat.

With the rotor mounted.

And with the caliper installed.

I will have to remount the panhard bar mount.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I apologize for not updating this, but just don't seem to find the time. I've manged to finish assembling everything, but still need to finish the powder coating. The following pics show how things have gone together.

I still have to run brake lines and make covers for the e-brake cables, but the engineering part is done. You probably noticed the limit straps. They keep the springs locked into their perches when the suspension unloads. They also set the ride height, for the rear. I'm using 10" straps.

I'm using the front hubs, from a Grand Caravan, on the front and rear. On the front, the axles keep the bearings compressed, but the rears needed something. I ended up using the ends from some old transaxles that I had laying around. I cut them off leaving just enough on the inside.

I had to make them short enough to not interfere with the rear axle mount.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
One of the design issues was remounting the panhard bar. I couldn't leave it in the original location, because it interfered with the bottom bolt, for the rear hub. I was able to locate it a little higher than the original.

I used a piece of pipe for support, and welded it in place. It had to clear the inner housing that I didn't know was there.

I am using a through bolt with a nut on the front side, not pictured.

I forgot to mention that I'm using e-brake cables from a '90 Daytona, as I hated the original e-brake pedal setup that was near my left foot. I'm also using the '90's center console setup with the handbrake. This was an old cable, but I've replaced it with a new one.

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,216 Posts
Are you close enough to do some track days this year? I was thinking about my discussion about reducing suspension component weight and thought about how all that would do is raise the overall center of gravity, which is pretty much the opposite of what you need to do. I always thought that a Daytona with Eibach springs thrown in it pulled some Gs. Man, I'd probably pass out in a turn in your car. Haha!

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I just retired, so I expected to have a lot of time to work on the car and do a few track days this summer. Unfortunately, I'm finding that retirement means that you do different projects that end up sucking up your life.

I still hope to finish the car sometime this summer, but am not going to put myself under any deadlines. I've done that before and it just takes the fun out of it.

It's hard to believe how long I've been working on this car, without having much to show for it. I should have taken Ed Papp's advice and just put the car together, then worked on one thing at a time. That way I could enjoy driving it once in a while, instead of waiting years. Still, I think I enjoy the work side, more than the driving side.

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,216 Posts
The way my wife and I go about it is to have 10-15 cars in varied states of done-ness, and make our goal to keep as many running at all times as possible. My "baby", the '87 GLHS can sit or drive, I enjoy it just the same. My absolute favorite thing is to brainstorm advancements to the complete Trans 4 vehicle system. From Omni to Caravan, even Aeromate(though not a Chrysler product). Turbo, MPFI, TBI, even carbureted. I love this stuff. I used to thoroughly enjoy listening to music and staring out the window at my GLHS, but unfortunately the city is forcing me to put some cars away, and Black Moon was one of them. People really hate well worn vehicles, don't they?

I recently pulled a fortune from a fortune cookie that basically said that I enjoy the process more than the reward. Probably couldn't be more true. Yesterday I made a stack of transaxles four feet tall in the old house to get them out of the garage which I have to clear out to fit the cars in. My back feels better than it has in weeks. Go figure. I hope the stars align, and power you up with some space radiation giving you superhuman strength and stamina to accomplish all the tasks set before you as well as getting the Daytona ready for some well earned you time.

-Mark

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks for the inspiration. My favorite saying is, "It's not the mountain we seek, but the adventure." That pretty much sums up my thinking, as I've actually spent hours hiking up mountains, only to head back down after only spending 15 minutes on the top.

Part of my modifications are to help others who might want to do the same things, but not have the resources that I have. Besides, it's more fun to do things that haven't been done to our cars before, instead of just buying kits and bolting them on, like Mustang owner's. It would be a lot cheaper, and take less time, but the satisfaction wouldn't be the same.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Originally, it was red, then I rattle canned it Ford tractor red, before changing it to baby blue. I'm trying to make it similar to the GT40's and Gulf Porsches. I will probably have the orange applied as a wrap.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts