Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My transmission is slipping on my 92 Daytona 2.5 non-turbo. I found a used tranny from a 87 Daytona turbo. Will this tranny swap work? Anyone done this before? No guesswork please, serious answers only. Thanks

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Yes but use the torque converter from your other tranny

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Yes but use the torque converter from your other tranny
that is bad advice. the 1987 turbo trans will not have lockup convertor while the 1992 N/A trans does have lockup. you cannot mix convetors.

to the originator... you can use the turbo trans as it is however you will not have lockup so your car will have a plug with no place to go. the only problem with doing this is you may get a diagnostic trouble code for lockup solinoid open... you will also have a slightly higher rpm at cruising speed since you don't have lockup (approximately 200 rpm difference). this also will slightly reduce your gas milage

·
Registered
386 Posts
Just find an N/A tranny, they're easier to find around here than Turbo equpiment...can't imagine it being much different elsewhere. Good thing someone caught this before you took bad advice. General rule of thumb to stay on the safe side is don't mix turbo-n/a equipment unless its something obviously the same.

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
N/A trans doesn't have as many clutches as a Turbo so it is more"heavy duty"an NA tran s can be upgraded to turbo specs and keep the lockup.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
yea but cant he take the lockup solenoid out and just plug it in and tie it up somewhere?
thats basicly what I said. read my post, I said he can use the turbo trans just wont have a place to plug in the lockup and I said he might set a code. but the main point of my post was you cant mix torque convertors that's a problem

1 - 7 of 7 Posts