Turbo Dodge Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was on the highway yesterday going to school in the Daily driver a 93 daytona es and was running about 65 when the car just died....pulled it over and it wouldnt start. Any ideas? I towed it home and charged the battery still no start. Fuel Pump maybe?

· Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 96 Jeep XJ, '13 300C
5,968 Posts
First order of business, check for codes? I assume it's the 3.0 in your profile. Do you hear the fuel pump engaging when you turn the key on? Do you have spark and fuel at the rail? What prompted you to charge the battery when your car died while driving?

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The battery had died because it sat with the flashers on thats all. I actually tried changing the ignition coil and it didnt work. Its not throwing any codes either other than 12 then 55.....12 is battery disconnect i believe. If it was the fuel pump itself it wouldnt throw a code anyway. Im not sure it is the fuel pump but for some reason im thinking it might be. I did however try another ignition coil....like one out of another car that i took off a while ago but that coil was perfect when i took it off....so yeah. Need to get this thing fixed asap.

· Registered
1,151 Posts
So the engine cranks but won't startup?

I once had a fuse blow that is in the engine bay that was inline with the harness off the ECU. Just something to check.

· Premium Member
2,530 Posts
Timing belt will cause your problems. Pull the distributor cap and see if the rotor turns when you crank the engine...

Fuel pumps usually give you some warning. Also, you can usually bang on the tank and get it to come back _temporarily_....

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can usually hear the pump when i start it. I need to check to see if i somehow jumped timing or the belt broke or something. im really time limited at the moment though. Hopefully tomorrow i can at least get it pinpointed. Thanks for the advice guys ill give all of it a check.

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it was the pump just like i figured. Got in it today and ACUTALLY listened for the pump and didnt hear it. Banged on the tank a bit....it kinda tried a little harder to start. Tested for fuel at the rail and had none so there you have it another retarded turbododge story that cost me a bunch of money right after i just got a ticket and gas is going up....yay.

· Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 96 Jeep XJ, '13 300C
5,968 Posts
Before you go through the trouble of swapping the pump, make sure you hear the relay engaging under the hood when you turn the key on. It's unusual for a pump to just die without giving some kind of warning sign, but anything's possible.

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I already put in a new one. I double checked that pump and it was DEAD. Honestly i dunno what happened. At first i didnt think it was the pump either since it did just DIE on me but after a while it turned out to be just that. Problem solved now...just money out of my pocket.

· Registered
1,545 Posts
When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

I recommend a WIX.

If you keep your gas tank 1/4, or less, full in hot weather, that will also cause fuel pumps to wear out faster.

Just in case you didn't know. You probably do though. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.