Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I dropped off my 1993 Iroc RT at my local dealer to tension my timing belt. They looked for over a day to get the info, should have been my first clue. I found it in a few minutes on here. They put the car in the service bay this morning. I called at 4 and it still isn't done. Yes, I gave them the daunting task of installing Lotashelbys custom brackets for the mod, simple I thought !! They ordered the tension tool after I dropped the car off . OMG no wonder the previous owner sold her, frustrating to find a competent tech that knows anything at all about these cars. What I would like to know us what is the allowed time at the dealer for a timing belt job in these motors? I believe it was said the pulley relocation could be done relatively simply in a yard ? Im looking at damn near a $1000 by the time these fools get done with my car and I haven't even been able to drive it to know if I'm wasting my money or not ? Hope it's all worth it when I do get to spool up the turbo ! Sounded good at idle, only hope it sounds good at revs.

·
Registered
681 Posts
A lot of venom toward the shop in your post...

There were 431 of these put on the US roads in '92-'93. Even less Chrysler Daytona Iroc R/Ts for the rest of the world. Chances are pretty good that every tech in that shop - and every other shop in a 1000 mile radius of you - has as much experience working on a TIII as you do. Hard to work on and master something that is virtually non-existent in the real world. Expecting to pull into any shop and have someone on the payroll that knows what you have, let alone how to work on it, is optimistic at best.

As a TIII owner, you are in an extremely small fraternity of owners - both past and present. I've owned a '93 and a '92 Iroc R/T. Many of these cars are no longer on the road. I mildly restored the '92 three years ago just to keep it from getting forgotten and ruined. The original owner FOUND ME and bought it back. We've become friends and still communicate, even though we live over 1,000 miles apart.

If you will be driving/keeping this car for any length of time, best to educate yourself on the nuances of the TIII so that you will not have to rely on others to work on it. I'm actually surprised a shop would even want to work on it, let alone modify it for you.

·
Administrator
4,016 Posts
Sad to hear, I thought one of the tech's owned a TIII you discussed in our conversation earlier? What dealer/shop, just curious because a bigger dealer might do better than a small dealer.

I doubt any TIII cars were sold in atlantic canada, and if there were you could count them on one hand, so nobody around here knows exist let alone have the service info on them

Hope it turns out well though and I see ya blow past my 89 Daytona Shelby on the road lol

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
You have a 20 year old car. Most techs weren't even in their teens yet then.

Yes that is very true. Sad but true, If your lucky enough try to find a local backyard retired from a Chrysler dealer mechanic if at all possible,Some guys retire but never stop getting their fingers dirty from a ChryCo product,Some are backyard "hobbist" mechanics and some do open their own little shops around town or near to town where they worked.
You could ask around or post a ad on a freebe site or in the local stores and hope someone knows of one that will work on the car.
You don't need to allways take it to Chrysler to repair it.

·
Administrator
24,996 Posts
Mitchell book time for 2.2L DOHC timing belt R+I with P/S and A/C is 3.1 hours.

I worked at a Jeep Dealer for 15 years and unless you find a tech that has been at a dealership for the last 30 years nobody is going to know anything about your car, chances are none of the dealer techs have actually seen one before.

We had a tech who was 25 and was awesome on the newer cars with newer electronics but when they gave him a 91 Wrangler with a feedback carb with a driveabilty issue his response was...
"What am I supposed to do with this".
He had never seen one with a Carb and had no training on a Carbed vehicle.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Bad news! as NAJ stated the 3 hr flatrate goes out the window when they work on something modded.The Dealer I worked at would charge you $85 hr if it's not stock. I had a friend take his Chevelle to have an alignment since I thought they were as reasonable as most. Well some shims or something was needed so it went on hourly while they got the shims cost? $185!!!! No more business from me!

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
I have found service comes at 4 levels

compitant
incompitant
challenged
unable

sadly , sometimes incompitant and challenged can be hard to tell apart - the difference is in the final result
this usually costs more either way

if a dealer feels unable they should be honest enough to say so at the get go - or really quickly after they start to try

when I built my first TD , I made the mistake of useing an engine compartment harness from a shelby charger that was hit so hard in the front end that I had to cut through the cowel top and firewall to pull the wireing out from behind the strut towers

it took almost 8 hours at the dealer to track down the broken wires that were preventing the car from starting

lesson learned

·
Registered
210 Posts
I feel for you guys. And you are correct that there are not many dealer techs that have experience with tIIIs. I have been a Dodge Chrysler Jeep tech for the past 18 years and i only know 2 other techs besides myself that have worked on these cars. Most techs that are in dealers now never even saw a tIII!!! Im so glad that i worked on these cars when they were almost new. The dealer i worked at back then sold a couple Spirit R/Ts and i think One Iroc R/T, I remember puting timing belts on a couple of them.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I had to leave a few shops that asked me what kind of throttle body was on Matchbox! The techs had never seen a car with a carb! You are simply going to have to find a good KNOWLEDGEABLE person near you to do your work. If you are like me, good luck. I have Brad Pennington doing my old school stuff and Chris Krieg doing my modern stuff...he's a SRT tech....even of Vipers. Move to central Indiana!

·
Administrator
4,016 Posts
Move to central Indiana!

Good idea haha, I considered buying the car you have shawnstevens when that buddy called my and asked if I wanted to buy it, the only reason why I didn't because it was too exotic for my budget if it broke, and the only people that REALLY know how to work on these cars are WAY down south :dancing:

Even still around here a 2.2 TII/2.5T is rare and impossible to find parts for!

·
Super Moderator
6,975 Posts
better yet, move to south east pa, here rust isnt so bad and only 2 hours away from forward motion for those that like to shop there and karaoke is hot and heavy here too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the R\T back today and drove it for the first time home from the dealer. Other than a little tire shake she runs great. Pulls hard and according to my follower it doesn't smoke thank goodness. The only concerns l have are the turbo gauge being all over the place while in boost. I've read that the stock ones are crap. Just doesn't seem to read the way the car pulls if you get what im saying. The valve train seems to be noisy but maybe thats just a Tlll ? Gonna change the motor oil and the tranny oil , any suggestions ? I'm thinking Royal Purple for the motor and synthetic for the trans ?? What are you fellow Tlll people running for lubricants ?

·
Administrator
4,016 Posts
x2 Mobil 1 syn for the motor, I just put a good brand 5w30 in the trans but redline would probably be a step up in quality.

(Correction, I said 10w30, Johnny is correct rather 5w30 and NOT synthetic)

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
2.2 speed secrets book calls for 5w 30 in the trans
word around the site says synthitic in trans is a no no

changeing from the automatic fluid used in the early trans to motor oil is a huge improvement in shifting quality
the auto fluid gets too cold in winter - I used to have to drive a block through the subdivision behind me before I could pull the trans out of first gear
shifter simply would not move

refilled with 5w 30 the trans shifted like never before and that was with one arm busted off the 1-2 shift fork in the trans

1 - 20 of 20 Posts